tas star trek cargo-2 vessel

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I never had a cable packaged that carried a channel of Star Trek TAS, or I just wasn't interested. With all the garbage out now, I am surprised it is not run on some channel somewhere. Maybe YouTube has some?

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
There are MANY Star Trek (TAS) model template files in the RESOURCE Section!!!
You may find what you are looking for there (or a really good (close) substitute).

Good luck with it. I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out!!

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
i wouldnt mind bashing my own kit for everyone out of that other cargo-1 ship rawen[?] did
[again im not sure about the authors]
but i was kind of hoping someone better than me would take a shot at it. there is a forward section that isnt on the tas robot ship. aso i am trying to catch up on my builds i have printed out-[8 pages so far] and have to correct and modify. so i am staying busy.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
A model could be made from the files DWhale posted. It wouldn't be very hard but it is a "Fugly" ship, IMHO. :)

linweseregon

There's a tug on paper modelers (downloads p10) that's labelled TOS thug USS Sherman by Bones. I've not built it though so I don't know if it has the extra front part...

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
yes you were right! I found it there, I cant print it out yet but I will when I get some ink. thank you for inspiring me to go look again. the ''thug'' ship kind of threw me when I saw it before I thought it was some kind of warship.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Thanks!

Has anyone taken these pallets to turn them into a model?

It would be an interesting craft to build.

I emailed the author of the page [Richard] and he said anyone could use his work without restriction.

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have successfully managed to import it into SketchUp, so there might be hope..! ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The mesh looks very good. Richard definitely knows how to make models. thumbsup:Drinks:

I like "edgy" models (because they are easy to handle :D ). The amount of intersections is fairly low. It only needs minor adjustments and an internal skeleton. However, I would need a test builder. Any volunteers? :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a quick explanation howto trace model lines in SketchUp. There are many ways to do (such as measuring all dimensions and building up the part from scratch) but this time I found this technique pretty effective.

Since the original model was very well made I only had to remove unused lines (the model consisted only of lot of triangles) and to simplify the contours. First I selected some key lines from the original model:

antares1.jpg

and copied and pasted them to another location:

antares2.jpg

Then I marked the middle (because the parts should be mirrored later which saved me half the work) and cleaned up the lines (meaning, combining lines and erasing unwanted steps in the construction which would be extremely hard to build). This leads to that:

antares3.jpg

You can clearly see a much cleaner model to work with.

A bit more done:

antares4.jpg

And the model as it looks at the moment:

antares5.jpg

I'm aiming at a length of about 35 cm which should give a nice display piece. Of course the result can be up- or downscaled to suit your needs.

:)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
The mesh looks very good. Richard definitely knows how to make models. thumbsup:Drinks:

I like "edgy" models (because they are easy to handle :D ). The amount of intersections is fairly low. It only needs minor adjustments and an internal skeleton. However, I would need a test builder. Any volunteers? :)

Absolutely!!!

Are you making the Antaries version or the tribbles robot?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Excellent! I have so many projects on my shelf that I hardly have any work space left. ;)

Since the two are virtually identical (aside from some texture bits and the bridge piece) I'm making both versions. It's funny to see the kitbashed parts (nacelles and radar dish) from the TOS Enterprise. :)

Unfolding is in progress. The sections are clear and easy to build. Which size and colour do you prefer?

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
The larger the better.

As for color, I don't know. The digital version looked a lot more realistic...then again it wasn't a cartoon!!:hammerhead: