Tapping Holes in White Metal

DWP

Mar 12, 2004
Willowgrove,Pa
Visit site
I am working on a 20 ton shay with keystone parts.
I need to tap some 0-90 threads if I can see that small.
Any ideas on what to use to keep the tap from clogging up?
If not, any ideas on attachind the tender to the frame so I can remove it later.
Thanks
Dave

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
White metal is very soft but it should tap fairly easily. The idea is to turn the tap 1/2 turn in, then turn 1/4 out. This will break-off the metal shavings that tend to clog up the tap. winding the tap in all the way without 'back-turning' it is a sure way to break a tap.

Dick Rasmussen

Oct 29, 2004
Twin Bridges, Montana. USA
Glen Haasdyk said:
White metal is very soft but it should tap fairly easily. The idea is to turn the tap 1/2 turn in, then turn 1/4 out. This will break-off the metal shavings that tend to clog up the tap. winding the tap in all the way without 'back-turning' it is a sure way to break a tap.
I agree with Glenn, and you might want to use a thin lubricant( kerosene& oil I.E.) with a quality tap. Good luck. Dick R.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I've actually done this :) :) Not that small though.

The basic rules are what has already been stated:

1/2 turn in (Slow) 1/4 turn out - then when the teeth grab again, "repeat"

Also - Use 3-in-1 oil or any other "light oil" and use a bunch!!! Don't spare it!! If the oil drips out when you pull (turn out) 1/4 - then it's fine!!! After every 4 turns (One Complete revoultion) take the tap out & drip a drop or 2 of oil down the hole and clean off any "Shavings" from the tap. Do this "Every complete revolution"!!

Last thing: All "good Quality" taps have the size of the tap on it as well as a drill size. Get a new, sharp, drill in this size & use it slowly as above, same thing as above - Oil Oil Oil!!!

If you take your time & use the right, new, sharp tools, this should be easy!!!!

Best of luck!!!!

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
in using taps that small in soft metal is hard it tends to clog tap i use ith 1/8 turn and back a1/4 and remove tap fron hole every 1/2 turn and blow chips out of hole i use wd40 in spray can for lub.

DWP

Mar 12, 2004
Willowgrove,Pa
Visit site
Thanks for the help.
Al at B & F Hobbies suggested to make a new
main frame out of brass. The frame that came with the kit is white metal. After cutting a hole for the gear box there is not a lot of metal left for support. So fo now I am in the process of cutting a new brass base.
DP.