Tank Farm

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
Yeah it's me again, here is a little project using scratch built, kit-bashed, trashed and whatever to get it completed. The large vertical is the model power Shell tank, the 2 verticals are from Sims seam sealer, the two horizontals and yard office from a Walthers kit, and a lot of other junk thrown in. ;) So here goes!

An old industry is going strong again on the WC & T RR. The Trojan Petroleum Co. (We Keep You Going, motto) It's noon time and no little people can be seen (yet) except a couple of customers relaxing on the barrel dock. A couple of tank cars are on the track behind th Company waiting to be filled. I guess the EPA are not established yet as there is a sluge pond near the tracks where they throw truck tires, oil cans, paper and what ever else they want to discard. You will also notice there is an open fire pit between the sluge pond and the yard office and scale house, how risky can it get? They keep a lot of gravel in the yard to soak up the spillage from the tanks. If Trojan makes it through all this I think they will do just fine. What do you think?
Jim ;) :cool:

Attachments

• tank farm1.jpg
    tank farm1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 310

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
That's a great model, Jim! Ah, that takes me back...to Pasadena, TX, the Ship Channel area...well, Southeast Texas in general... The sludge pit is a nice (and very realistic) touch. Looks like Trojan Petroleum is a Superfund site waiting to happen...

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Terrific modeling Jim! The weathering and the details sure make it look like the industrial side of town! Neat scene! I love the name too, which prompts all manner of comebacks that I won't include here. :)
Ralph

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Jim, what a great..(I was going to say "little") big scene. It all hangs together with the detail I'd expect of a small company like that. Of course the staff have to provide for their own life insurace! :D :D

The pic with the oil industry backscene makes it all the more authentic ...... well done.

Errol

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi j.m.!
Wow!
That is just simply FANTASTIC!!
I don't know if you're familiar with Louisville or not, but there's an area over on the west sife of town that we call "Rubbertown"...(this has no connection to the name of your co. does it? :D ) There's a bunch of chemical plants down there...B.F. Goodrich, DuPont, etc...there's a lot of smaller, run-down looking places, too...lots of little industrial rail sidings, lots of trash, lots of empty weed covered lots...you have captured that look perfectly, especially with those refinery backdrops!
Excellent work!

Jim, this is a fantastic mini-scene. It's got the detailing and weathering that I just love to do in my own work.

Your scene reminds me of an old article by John Allen in which he encouraged readers to try superdetailing just 1 square foot of their layout. Your photos are as inspiring now as his article was then.