Tank Car Placards

dean

Jul 9, 2004
Laytonsville, MD
I am looking for information on what placards are placed on tank cars specifically those carrying Corn Syrup. I have a bunch of cars done in ADM etc, that I want to add the DoT placards. Any thoughts or where this information can be found?

I know that MicroScale Decals makes a set for these placards but I am looking for information on which ones apply to which car and commodity.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
I just did a google search but didn't turn anything up that would be of much immediate help. However, I'm wondering if some decal sets for corn syrup tank cars might include placard decals too?

F

Fred_M

I could be wrong because my Hazmat traing is several years old and things do change, but placards are only placed on loads of hazardous materials like gasoline, chlorine, rat poison, you know, hazardous materials. Things like paper, corn syrup, toothpaste, beer, and sand are not hazardous and the placard stand, if there is one, is left empty (blank). Fred

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Yeah,

I got my 40 Osha training in 1988 and maintained my 8 hour refresher courses yearly until I switched to an IT career path. I'm rusty on those too.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
That would be my understanding as well - the cars would have "CORN SYRUP" written on the side (at least the ones I've seen), but would NOT need a placard as it is not hazardous material.

(( In fact, I have a list of all the placard numbers and corn syrup of course isn't in there ))

dean

Jul 9, 2004
Laytonsville, MD
I know that the placards are regulated by DoT and have different number codes and colors for various materials/commodities that are being transported. There are even ones for intert materials being carried so if an event occurs where spillage occurs the response teams know what the commodity is. This was something we learned from being a volunteer firefighter years ago, to know and recognize hazmat logos. I just wasn't sure if there was one for corn syrup. If not, then no problem

Thanks for all the help and replies.

F

Fred_M

I looked it up and corn syrup is hazMat rated B-6, so no placard is used. Fred

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
It Could be Hazardous waste being transported in a Cornsyrup car...you know, general people cannot read the hazmat logos, and they move too fast to hold attention for long, so they p[ut the words "cornsyrup" on the side, and at worst, some hazmat official sees it and laughs at the joke of "hazardous corn syrup"...

F

Fred_M

Actually they wouldn't laugh Benny, food use tank cars aren't allowed to haul anything else. They are dedicated to (example) corn syrup only and are returned empty. And they would never put food in a tank that had hazmat in it. Fred

Benny

Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
Actually they wouldn't laugh Benny, food use tank cars aren't allowed to haul anything else. They are dedicated to (example) corn syrup only and are returned empty. And they would never put food in a tank that had hazmat in it. Fred

Precisely. The Public, who know nothing of Hazmat labels in connection with Cornsyrup, would have no idea othe then that perhaps now cornsyrup, which the paint on the side of the cars reports, is now hauled under hazmat tags.

At the same time, those that know anything would know that this train is not cornsyrup, and the lisitning in any roster declarations would probably have this train as very high priority and the cars owned by someone like the government, the military, or any other highly sensitive operation...Xfiles, anyone? ;)