Talk to me about independent subsidiaries, paper roads, etc.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I'm developing a freelanced road as a fun addition to my Penn Central themed layout. Some recent trheads have mentioned "paper railroads" which I assume don't really have their own equipment lettered for a seperate road. Right?

I've created some "Kings Port & Western" locos so the road now "exists" but I'm going to run it on the same tracks as my PC trains so I guess the KP&W has running rights over some PC lines. Is this similar to the P&LE which was an actually independent subsidiary of the NYC and then the PC? Under what circumstances might two roads share track and maybe even locomotive servicing areas? I like the idea of mingling my blue and orange KP&W units among the black PC engines.

Thanks for the help!
Ralph

CNWman

CNW Fan
what about conecting freight yards at the fringes of the two? That way you can run the King trains next to your ever-precious Penn Central trains and they can both service at a nearby work setup:thumb: As for running them on the same train, maybe the Penn Central could borow some loco power from the shortline. A free-lance running with a Hi-Rail layout, sounds great:D :thumb: post pics!:D

brakie

Ralph asks:I'm developing a freelanced road as a fun addition to my Penn Central themed layout. Some recent trheads have mentioned "paper railroads" which I assume don't really have their own equipment lettered for a seperate road. Right?
=======================================================
That is correct..A "paper" railroad is just that it own no locomotives or rolling stock but,is a legal corporations set up by larger parent railroad(s).If 2 railroads own a paper terminal road both parent companies would supply locomotives on rotating bases. A paper railroad could also be known as a non-operating subsidiary.
I've created some "Kings Port & Western" locos so the road now "exists" but I'm going to run it on the same tracks as my PC trains so I guess the KP&W has running rights over some PC lines. Is this similar to the P&LE which was an actually independent subsidiary of the NYC and then the PC? Under what circumstances might two roads share track and maybe even locomotive servicing areas? I like the idea of mingling my blue and orange KP&W units among the black PC engines.
Your KP&W would have its own track however,PC could have operating rights over these tracks and that's how the PC units ended up in KP&W's engine servicing area.

BTW..After the formation of Conrail P&LE became an independent Road and was merged into the CSX in 1993 and became the Three Rivers Transportation company however that is a paper railroad seeing the former P&LE tracks is operated like any other CSX main line.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
brakie said:
Your KP&W would have its own track however,PC could have operating rights over these tracks and that's how the PC units ended up in KP&W's engine servicing area.

OK! That helps! I've thought that the layout might possibly become more my own freelance with the PC stuff running through and your comments fit there Brakie.
Thanks! :thumb:
Ralph