Take apart a P2K 0-6-0

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I think I have narrowed my problem with the 0-6-0 down to lubrication of the gears inside the chassis. Of course, the instructions say to just take of the shell, but...

How the heck do you do this??? I spent about an hour last night trying to figure it out!:mad:

Thanks in advance... :)

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Andrew,
I don't have one of those, but if there's a parts list, with an exploded view, you might be able to figure out what screws hold what. Just a thought.
Pete

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Pete,

I tried that, but nothing seems to come loose. I did manage to get the pilot off, but nothing else was even remotely loose. The exploded view contains (roughly) 1 billion pieces, and yet there is only three visible screws on the chassis.

The enclosed instructions are simply "remove the shell from the chassis and lubricate sparingly".

Thanks for the idea though... I have sent an email to Hobbycraft - the distributor of P2K in Canada. Hopefully they can help.

Andrew

jwmurrayjr

I don't hae any LL locos yet, but when adding decoders to steam locos I've found that IHC and Bachmann have a "main screw" under the pilot truck and either screws or "tabs" near the back of the cab.

Even with everything loosened some boilers are still a pain to remove and even worse to replace. :eek:

Let us know when you find the solution.

:)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Update!

In Canada, we deal with Hobbycraft as the distributor for P2K products. I emailed them yesterday and received a very quick and courteous reply.

Since there is a good chance that this will be covered by warranty, I have declined to figure out how to open it myself! They did supply me with the "how-to" if anyone is interested.

Andrew

That's one of the troubles with ready to run stuff. They're designed for quick and easy factory assembly, not for disassembly. Since, with the cost of labor, it's usually cheaper to just discard any returned merchandise and replace it with new, (manufacturing cost of most products is 1/10 to 1/5 of retail) they couldn't care less whether the thing is easy to disassemble.

Which, of course, supports the thought that kits are "better". If you assembled the thing in the first place, you'll know how to take it apart and service it.

BillS