Tacky Bands and Clamps

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Gil, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

The following is a technique that will help make perfect seams without mental trauma and physical mess.

Aleene's Tack-It Over and Over is an adhesive which allows a surface to be repositioned many times before loosing it's adhesive ability (see left below). This is a fairly interesting adhesive and can be used for many more techniques than the few described in this topic. It will adhere to the surface but will not lift the affect the surface like masking tape. You'll need isopropyl or denatured alcohol for clean-up though.

The middle pictures show two different pieces of paper that were were butt joined using this method. Start by coating one side of scrap piece of paper with the adhesive. Let dry. The pieces to be joined are aligned and the prepared adhesive strip applied to the face side to keep the two pieces aligned and closely butted together (note that this method works with different thicknesses of card stock). Prepare the standard glue strip and apply to the back of the card stock glueing the two pieces together. Set aside to dry (see middle two pictures). Finally the tack tape was used to hold the test piece in a cylinder shape by being applied to the face of the two ends butted together. Apply the standard glue strip inside and let dry. The tack tape is removed once the glue strip has set.

This method allows the edges to be positioned and held in perfect alignment while applying the glue strips. This alleviates much of the fidget of holding pieces in alignment during the building process. This technique is great for putting ships hull sheathing on.

One other item not shown was made by using rayon "pellon" coated with the tack adhesive. The pellon has a stretch direction and acts like a rubber band that sticks to itself when wrapped around an item. Use this like you would a rubber band.

Best regards, Gil
  2. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Gil

My wife has all this for her greeting cards and I never thought to use them.

Got any good commando tips for a raid on her gear :twisted:
    Or the number of a good bone mender :cry:

Iam off to brows my new material supply.

Great tip

Regards

Rob
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Rob,

My wife thought that this stuff would make a good band-aid adhesive..., they make and elastic tape that has an adhesive similar to this stuff on it. Works very well indeed...., I have to keep a good supply of first aid items at hand. I always seem to be leaking red from some spot or other and sometimes can't even figure how it happend...,

Best regards, Gil
  4. jrts

jrts Active Member

Here we go troops a way to get materials without getting battered to death :lol:

After intelligence recived!!
    Always known as the joker in our clan I hatched a plan :idea:

Opperation Carded (In honour of the intelligence source, Gil) :roll:

I kitted my self out with my amour, battle bowler on head (large pan with handdle), frontal amour (cricket pads and steel toe capped work boots) and rear amour (four news paper down my shorts) and the best bit of amour a sheild to deflect the blows (trash can lid in hand).

With my back up troops for support (two kids five and eight) I went out on a sortie to get this new technology I could not live without :lol:

With my back up troops on the alert (rolling around the floor laughing)
    I delivered my demands to the enemy, with the enemy disabled (wife disabled with laughter) it was an easy thing to get the required materials more being handed over than would have been without opperation Carded.

I must say that all the new technology checks out and will be used to great effect

Thanks Gil

Regards

Rob
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Rob,

Great and entertaining way of raiding as you please..., nice show!

I hope you show some shots of the technique in use.

Best regards, Gil