T-33 "free" contest build review

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by spirtos, Feb 2, 2007.

1. spirtos

spirtos Member

The T-33 was the first jet plane of the Hellenic Air Force and I always think of it as a very special plane. Especially those orange-painted.
    A very nice T-33 model can be found in the Parts Bin , in many paint schemes.
    My -ambitious- plan is to build a T-33 with cockpit , formers , a slightly modified landing gear, not painted but covered with aluminium foil. If I succeed I will have a model close to the firrst T-33 to land in Elefsis AFB (pictured below, note the P-80 tip tanks)

I will use the orange HAF version (because I need the markings) and many prints of the uncolored version for the test builds.

Pictures (and new parts' uploads )will follow.

Wish me luck because I will need it :)

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Good Luck, post many pictures, esp the design process,Have fun!
  3. spirtos

spirtos Member

...thank you cmdrted...

...I made some progress. First I gathered as many pictures I could find of the T-33. Luckily I found detailed pictures and diagrams for the cockpit , but I could not fid a set of 3-views appropriate for this project. All I found was a set of 3-views for the P-80 , with cross sections. I knew that the T-33's fuselage was based on the P-80's fuselage (they added a 26.6'' part in front of the wing and another 12'' behind the wing), so I tired to use these plans ro design the formers.
    A -no glue- test proved the fit to be ok so now I have three test-build T-33s and the cockpit is next..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Looks like you are making great progress!
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wonderful start, Spirtos!

We're all looking forward to seeing your progress on this project.

Cheers!
    Jim
  6. 46rob

46rob Member

I had the same trouble finding a decent three view of the T-33, when I designed the ones in the parts' bin. Since I had already designed a P-80--I merely stretched it into the T-bag. Good luck with your redesign. Feel free to 'borrow' any elements from my models you want....neve waste time reinventing something..
  7. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Spirtos, for a collection of pictures, videos, etc, check out the web site of the Red Knight T-33 air show performer http://redknightairshows.com/site.html

Should help on the details, if nothing else. Good luck with your project.
    Later,
    Fred Z.
  8. spirtos

spirtos Member

...thank you for your kind words ... :)

..I finished the design of the front and rear cockpit panels.. I hope that when these get scaled to fit to the model, some details remain visible... seats are next...

[​IMG]
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Great redesign so far, keep going!
  10. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

The Red Knights paint scheme is smart. Are you going to do this model in the RCAF markings too?
  11. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Redesign to be available?

Looking great Spiritos. The T33 is on my to-build list too. Do you plan to make you're re-design available for download?
  12. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

The only Red Knight scheme is a RCAF scheme, the other guy is but a wanna-be, next thing you know someone will slop some gold paint on a sword and claim to be a Golden Hawk.

Ok...Rant mode off for now.