switchyard plans

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Does anyone know of a place I could look at some plans of switchyards? Again my knowledge is slim on real RR so I've been trying to get to a real yard but the access is very limited and the views I've gotten were very low angles and did not help much.
I'm going to PA this weekend near Bath does anyone know any yards in that area?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You will probably not be allowed on railroad property, but if you can find a bridge that allows for pedestrians going over the yard at one end or the other, you can get a good overhead view of a yard. You might also check at Model Railroader's web site. They had plans for a small New England rail yard in one of their "Railroads you can model" features a few years ago. As I remember it the yard was small enough in the prototype to be modeled at full scale.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I just looked at my new issue of THE WARBONNET the magazine of the Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society. The center page of the second quarter issue is an overview of the Santa Fe engine facility in Temple Texas in 1948 with a map of the Temple yard in the top of the right page. If your local hobby dealer doesn't stock The Warbonnet, I think you can order it from www.atsfrr.net

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
great link Pete will help me too:D :D :D ...and Belg where in jersey do you live would help I know theres a big yard right off the jersey turnpike between 15 & 18 exits on the eastern spur if thats any help:D :D :D :D :D Rich