Switchman gets fired!

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Don't know how it happened but the switchman of this empty logger has shovelled his train into a towns' Industrial complex where timber is as scarce as hens teeth!
He said he had one of his "senior moments" so I told him he can't play on the team no more! (Don't let on I have such moments myself :eek: ) I'll probably re-hire him next week seeing as he has a sense of humour!

Errol

Attachments

• pic00030.jpg
    pic00030.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 198

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
OK Pete, I was remiss in making sure you left at the same time as me ..... ok ok ok , you're re-hired.

BUT !!!! .... YOU pay for the beer in future (just to make sure you don't languish in that thar pub) this is not open to negotiation! :D :D

Shamus, On a more serious note...... The 2 truck MDC Shay in the foto runs rather jerkily. I've heard that having the side and con rods driven from just one truck gear avoids the need for absolute gear alignment/synchronisation. Have you any experience of this?
Answers from anyone else on the forum would also be most most welcome because I have an HOn3 kit waiting for me to assemble the siderods/gears and they look too fragile to mess around with too much.
By the way, the motor/main gearbox/ trucks are all free moving, that's why I think the problem lies in the siderod gears.

Errol

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Errol, Having the rods driven from just one gear works! I have done that with my HOn3 MDC shay. MDC even says in their instructions that the "timing" is critical and that the rods can be driven with just one gear. Mine runs like a watch now.
Take Care:) and Have Fun:D ...Vic

Attachments

• d&rgw-1.jpg
    d&rgw-1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 178

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by kettlestack

Shamus, On a more serious note...... The 2 truck MDC Shay in the foto runs rather jerkily. I've heard that having the side and con rods driven from just one truck gear avoids the need for absolute gear alignment/synchronisation. Have you any experience of this?
Answers from anyone else on the forum would also be most most welcome because I have an HOn3 kit waiting for me to assemble the siderods/gears and they look too fragile to mess around with too much.
By the way, the motor/main gearbox/ trucks are all free moving, that's why I think the problem lies in the siderod gears.

Errol

Hi Errol,
Yes, all my MDC shay run great with just the one gear turning the cranks, just make sure that all the moving parts are good free running parts, and all will work fine.
Shamus

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Thanks guys, you have no idea how happy I am to hear from those who actually use the technique of using a single cog to drive the rods and cranks.
I've been pondering it for 15 yrs since I bought the Shay ready built and super detailed second hand in Provo Utah. Running qualities didn't bother me at the time as I wanted it for my display case.

Vic, for a minute I half expected to see a Shay in your picture. Is that a recent foto of the Alamosa/Chama (creeper :) ). It's a super pic. Outside frame too .... ya gotta love 'em ... heaps to look at on these beasties.

I have yet to put finishing touches (details) on my 2-8-0 MDC outside frame loco. I numbered it #22 to please my on-line friend in North Carolina and just noticed in the instructions that there was such a #22 on the Silverton Northern.

See what you guys are doing to me??? Now I'm half into this "prototypicaly correct" thing. (And I kinda like the idea :) )

The other thing you're doing to me is you're getting me into this Americanese speak :confused: )

Now... when does the pub open?

Errol

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I'm chuckling here!

heh heh heh Shane,
Not surprised you don't have any Shays. The BN (MY road) snaffled all the best maintenance guys in the country. It needs real skill to maintain the locos.

BUT ... I'm not proud, I'll let you interchange your RI stock with my BN road. (Of course you realise if your stock needs repairs while on my road, my lads are expensive :D :D :D . Besides, I need the money! :) )

Come to think of it, two of your 40ft boxcars are already on my road!!!! (good job they're in 1st rate condition)

Is it a deal? :)

Errol

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Errol...No I have to admit thats not a recent picture nor did I make it. Just found it and several others of the same quality on the web somewhere....and darned if I can find them again to give you the site...I'll keeping looking though...Take Care and Have Fun...Vic PS: Trying to post another one with this message...hope it works.