Switching the Grain

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
The Reading MP15DC had to handle a string of grain hoppers over the weekend.

aby.jpg

abz.jpg

aca.jpg

acb.jpg

babydot94513

Member in training
Tom, nice detailing. Great work on the wheelsets and the "splash" effect in the hopper bays which make it look all the more real.

JD

N

nachoman

i am going to second the great work on the wheelsets. The color of both the wheels and the rail seems perfect.

kevin

doctorwayne

Another good-lookin' train, Tom. As already noted, nice work on those wheelsets too. Another useful trick for "popping" the detail on moulded trucks is to paint, very lightly, the springs, using a dark rust colour. Even though the springs wouldn't necessarily be any more rusted than the rest of the truck, the paint makes the coils look more individual, and if you do this step before the rest of the weathering, the rust colour doesn't look out of place.

Wayne

RailRon

I wish more and more I could live near the stretch of track where you do your railfanning photo excursions! :D

Greta models, great weathering, greath photography! Thanks for showing your pics, Tom. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

A question: Are those hoppers modelled after existing prototypes, or is the lettering the product of your fantasy? Here in Europe it would be very extraordinary if each small community or grain trading firm would buy their own hoppers.

Ron

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks everyone!

Ron
To my knowledge they are based on real hoppers. I have seen a Rogers Grain hopper. Some one on another forum posted a photo of the Farmers Co-op hopper. It was patched with a different owners reporting marks, however. I have seen photos of the Klemme and Farnhamville hoppers but right now I can't find the links to them.

There was a time where it was profitable for companies to own and lease freight cars. I think they could get some tax breaks or something. Then the law changed and all the different ones disappeared.

steamhead

Nice work Tom (again...). Are you taking these on your ongoing layout or on a diorama (I had the idea the tower module had already been placed on the layout...).

How'd you make those "golden" brushy weeds?? I'm gonna be needing PILES of them...

Thanks for any info.

Gus (LC&P).

KATY

Believe me, those kind of grain hopper cars used to be around. In the 80's I used to unload 25 car trains of those pink cars with corn from Iowa. It was quite a sight.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
RailRon said:
A question: Are those hoppers modelled after existing prototypes, or is the lettering the product of your fantasy? Here in Europe it would be very extraordinary if each small community or grain trading firm would buy their own hoppers.
Ron

I saw the Klemme hoppers regularly during my five years in Iowa!
Ralph

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Again thanks everyone!

steamhead said:
Nice work Tom (again...). Are you taking these on your ongoing layout or on a diorama (I had the idea the tower module had already been placed on the layout...).

Yes it has been placed but in an area where I can still photograph it. As I am working on the layout I am trying to keep photo opprunities in mind.

steamhead said:
How'd you make those "golden" brushy weeds?? I'm gonna be needing PILES of them...

They are Woodland Scenics Field Grass. I just followed the instructions that came with them. http://www.woodlandscenics.com/index.htm