switching problem?

Hello All,

I decided I would take advantage of a few days off work to get a lot of modelling done and tidy up the train room......but, I did nothing at all except run trains. Sad to admit I even moved things like tools and stuff out of the way rather than putting them away.

So there I was switching away trying to put a train together and realised at one point that I had made way too many moves to achieve my aim and had only complicated my task with the last few moves. Just before the 0-5-0 descended on the yard I thought, "is this a problem that should be shared?"

I've seen switching problems presented as competition assignments and had fun solving then with as few moves as possible, not that I was very good at it though. I was thinking that it might be amusing to run a thread that explored such a concept but was based on actual track plans and consists of the members. Of course I haven't done anything about it other than the thoughts you have just read and I doubt that I could actually meet my own challenge, but I would be interested in knowing how other members feel about it.

Hello DanishKnight,

Welcome to the Gauge, probably the finest RR forum on the net, certainly the most helpful and friendly members.

The John Allen timesaver is certainly the basis behind the idea. I thought that using members layout plan and consist would make it a little more entertaining puzzle, game, competition?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Tony,
I like the idea of switching challenge threads. Go ahead and post your own if you like. I encourage others to do so as well. It'd be fun!
Ralph

DanishKnight

Dec 27, 2003
Denver CO
Visit site
Tony,

Thanks for the Welcome. I'm not usually a joiner, being a life-long loner, but seeing the quality of the Posts here at The Gauge, I couldn't pass this opportunity up. The few layouts that I have "visited" on-line are truly remarkable examples of modeling expertise and artistic endeavor. Barvo to those who are creating wonderful miniatures of the feeling or railroading.

Take Care,
James

Originally posted by Lightbender
I decided I would take advantage of a few days off work to get a lot of modelling done and tidy up the train room......but, I did nothing at all except run trains.

Just one of the hazards of this hobby. But if you have a continuous running loop, you can let a train run around while you do the chores. Sometimes when doing scenery its fun to let a train run through your work area - you have to stop work to let the train through then scramble like heck to get a bit more done before the 'next' train arrives. Prototypical.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I agree Tyson, this would be another great item for the operations forum should Dave decide it to be practical.
I always loved those lil challenges in MR when they had them.Never was much good at them,but,I am willing to learn :D