Switching in Troy

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Caught these two sequentially numbered switchers from the Conecuh Valley RR on CSX tracks in Troy, AL. These two had their work cut out for them with a long string of hoppers.

Attachments

• mvc-010s.jpg
    mvc-010s.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 231

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Papa,Thanks for sharing !:D :thumb: I really like the SW1500s and pictures of short lines.:D Could you give me some details on the CVRR? Like mileage and number of units?

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Larry, the Conecuh Valley RR runs about 8 miles from Troy to Goshen, Alabama on former Central of Georgia trackage. Their only connection is with CSX in Troy. As far as I know, they only have three units. The third one, #52 is also an SW-1500. The Conecuh Valley is owned by Gulf and Ohio (G&O) Railways.

Jon, they seem to run those two together most of the time.

Ralph, I like the paint scheme, too. Simple, but elegant in a way.

Here is a picture of #52.

John

Attachments

• cv_switcher.jpg
    cv_switcher.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 202

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
In this shot, the Conecuh Valley track turns to the left while the CSX main curves to the right. Originally, the Conecuh Valley track continued across the street (you can see the old rails still in the street), crossed the CSX main on a diamond, and then turned to the left. The diamond was about where the first two cars are behind the locomotives. About a year or so ago, CSX pulled up the diamond and replaced it with two switches to accomodate these moves.

John

Attachments

• mvc-027s.jpg
    mvc-027s.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 192

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Beautious!

Very nice- nah- superb slice of railroading. Thanks Papa.

I too an enamored with locos in black paint. The CV scheme is awesome. This will serve- should my model RR move into the 1980s-90s some time in the future.

Thanks again.

Mark

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
End of the line

This is the south end of the line at Anderson's Peanuts in Goshen, AL, about 10 miles south of Troy. This line used to run all the way to Andalusia, about 50 miles to the south.

Not much running on this part of the line, pending repairs on the trestle over the Conecuh River a few miles to the north.

John

Attachments

• end_of_cv.jpg
    end_of_cv.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 157

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Anderson's Peanuts

The Anderson's Peanuts complex in Goshen, AL. The CV mainline passes to the right of this picture. Trains go past the plant and then back up this spur to spot cars at the plant.

John

Attachments

• andersons.jpg
    andersons.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 160

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
KW Plastics

Rail loading facility for KW Plastics in Troy. KW Plastics is a major customer of the Conecuh Valley, as you can see from all of the hoppers.

At the same location, gondolas are loaded with scrap metal which is trucked in from a nearby (offline) scrap metal dealer. A crane picks up the metal from the trucks and drops it into the gons. Another industry for your team track?

Attachments

• Mvc-005s.jpg
    Mvc-005s.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Mvc-006s.jpg
    Mvc-006s.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 119

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Rural Crossing

Crossing a dirt road between Troy and Goshen. This part of the line was almost abandoned when the trestle over the Conecuh River was damaged a few years back. The county commission, however, stepped in and secured grants to repair the bridge to keep the line in service.

The river crossing is in a remote area, so I have not been able to see it. Maybe if I had a boat... :D

John

Attachments

• Mvc-003s.jpg
    Mvc-003s.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 71

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
New power on the Conecuh Valley

Well, new to them anyway. I don't know the scoop on this one, but it showed up the other day. The paint scheme looks to me like Appalachicola Northern, but the painted out marks don't really look long enough to spell that. I don't know why the windows are boarded up, either since I thought it was running when I saw it before. Sorry about the trees in the way. That was as close as I could get.

John

Attachments

• MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 60

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Bob Collins said:
Does it just seem odd to me that the SW's are not aligned cab to cab? It would seem to me it would facilitate movement in either direction. Or put a cab on both ends.

I wondered about that, too. Think the reason they don't do that is that they don't have a wye to turn them on.