Switcher

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
When i was at railfest this year i seen a couple of trains that had a conrail diesel switcher in the middle of two NS Locomoitves. Can anyone tell me why they are doing this?

MCL_RDG

I couldn't but suggest...

...that it's because they can, want to or have to?

Book ends? The reason my Reading SD-45 usually leads the E-L '45 around by the nose.

Have (Did) you approached anyone at the fest???

Mark

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Would they be transporting them someplace else because i know that the are being replaced at the juniata shops. No i didn't get the chance to talk to anyone at the Railfest because i was too busy helping the Independent Live Steam Members with their trains. I just happened to glance up and see it in the consits.

Pooh Bah
Would this have been on NS lines that weren't ex-Conrail? There is the possibility that the cab signals/radio/whatever in the Conrail unit was not upgraded to NS standard, but they still needed the power. Or maybe the NS crews like their own units better? Cleaner washrooms? Padded seats?

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
This was on the main line coming right through Altoona. It was a SW1500 Diesel Locomotive. It was the third engine in the consist. They all have been replaced with newer units that i am aware of. I know when the shops were closed in Hollidaysburg they had replaced the SW1500 with a NS GP9. Would they be taking the engines down to the shops down in Virginia?