Switcher blues

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, I've been waiting many months for the release of Broadway Limited's NW2 switcher. It was slated, according to their website, for release in "early 2004". Now I find at the Walthers site that it is expected in May. :cry: :cry:

I wonder why they keep pushing back the release date?

Does anyone know if any other manufacturers are planning to release an early diesel switcher with sound?

This waiting is killing me!!!!!!!!!!

Val

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Please stop Boo-Hooing:) I am sitting here making switcher sounds for you.....listen carefully and you can hear them all the way to Canada!!!:D :D :D

Don't feel like "The Lone Ranger"...I'm still waiting for the hon3 version of the RGS Goose from Con-Cor....it was supposed to be out in Jan 2003. The HO version just came out.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Val,
Overland announced they were releasing a B&O eL3a 2-8-8-0. six years later I found one of the sunset models versions, two years after that, overland finally did release their model. It could be worse.
Pete

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by spitfire
Thanks for all the moral support folks. Maybe someone else will come out with something in the mean time.

Hey Vic! What's that weird sound I keep hearing? Sounds like a bull moose in a trap!

:D :D :D :D

Val

Its pollen season here:( :mad: :curse: :cry: and what you hear is thousands of suffers like me sneezing and "honking" trying to get a breath of air!!!:eek: :D :D :D Sorry:eek:ops: Switcher sounds will have to wait!!!:eek: :D :D :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Val,I am rather good at imitating diesel sounds especially EMD .
Perhaps I can tech you how and you can use that for sound until those long awaited switchers comes out? Like you I am waiting,and waiting and waiting on those SW7s.:D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Val, the usual reason for delays like that is "snow in the points at Crewe". ;)
Remember how long the GO cars took to come out? Maybe not; they were scheduled long before you were on the Gauge, and were held up for trademark or copywrite reasons.
Scheduling problems have been with us as long as I can remember. There used to be talk that manufacturers would announce products just to keep the competition away from them, or to see if anyone would want to buy them.

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Val,
I'll help you out here if you'd like, I'll research how to kitbash a NW2, get all the required parts, sound decoder, etc and start building. Before I get halfway thru the project Broadway Limited will release theirs! It works EVERY time!

Just like my Dad used to make a bus come by lighting a cigarette.

For the record, I don't model diesels, so the learning curve will be steep, and I expect you to buy my effort from me when I'm done..... :D :D :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow, you guys really go beyond the call of duty!!! Vic is sneezing and wheezing like an engine in need of repair, Brakie's making more funny noises and mhdishere's scratchbuilding "something" that may or may not ever be done -- what more could anyone want.

In your face BLI!!! We don't need you anymore!!! :D :D :D :D

Andrew, thanks for the offer but I don't have the nerve to take an engine apart, much less wire up some speakers!!!

The cool thing about factory-installed sound is price and convenience. I priced out a P2K SW1200 switcher, plus decoder, plus speakers and the BLI switcher with sound is actually cheaper.

Ok, I guess it's back to biting my fingernails.

Val

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Val, You already looked at getting another switcher and installing sound, which was going to be my suggestion. Thought I'd mention this anyway. I bought a Stewart VO1000 from Tony's and had him install the Soundtrax decoder and speaker. It runs and sounds awesome! Paid about $250 as I recall.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
The Final Solution

'Memeber when you was a kid and would put playing cards in the spokes of your bicycle with clothespins?:D :D :D Bingo!!!...Your bike became a motorcyle !!!:D :D :D :D

Maybe something in the guts of a plain old switcher to "whack" against the universals would be a reasonable substitute for a prime mover:D :D :D 'Course in my time I've had some noisy old "growlers" that didn't need nothing!!!:D :D :D :D