Switch Problems

Trainman Dan

Im new to model railroading, adding two switches to my layout. I'm using MTH realtrax 0-31 switches. The problem is the train will operate only on the part of the track the power is connected to, but once it reaches a switch, it shuts down and wont move. I have checked and rechecked the instructions, but it all looks right. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?? If you look under the track, it appears that one of the brass connectors on the outside rail is not there as it is on all my other tracks. Is this right because its a switch? Probibly dumb question, but gotta start somewhere... Thanks!

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Trainman Dan
When you refer to two switches are you refering to Double pole Double Throw switches?

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 03-28-2001).]

Virginian

Hi Dan, wecome aboard!
Are you maybe talkin' 'bout Turnout switches?
I'm a newbee too, but have learned that, to model railroaders, switches are what change the direction of elec. current, 'turnouts change the direction of trains. I'm sorry I don't know enough to help much, but I'm sure once you clarify, you'll get all the help you need ! I am suspecting that is is a wiring problem, though...sounds like a short is occuring when your loco hits the other side of that turnout...have you a ModelRR wiring book? Atlas publishes a pretty simple one for us beginners..If not, I'm sure shamus will be able to guide you...get your track plan ready
biggrin.gif

Good Luck
Virginian
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 03-27-2001).]

Trainman Dan

Yeah, I guess whatI'm talking about are turnout switches. My layout is a simple oval, or loop, that spurs off to another track going back again to the oval. I saw the same layout on a post that Shamus did about wireing. Some of my confusion is the terminology. The boxs the switches came in are labled "operating 0-31 left hand (or right) switch". I told you had a lot to learn, Thanks for the help, I need it!!

Dan , does the train reverse direction when using the turnout & then rejoining the main track? I don't mean back up ,I mean make a loop? If it does you have what is called a reverse loop & it requires some fancy wiring to make it work. It occurs because in making the loop what was the positive rail is now turned back & connected to the negative rail.

------------------
L V Dave

shamus

Registered Member
Trainman Dan,
Perhaps if I could see your problem I could put it right, put a drawing up of your trackplan.