Swanky couple oblivious to train

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Here's a rather swanky couple just heading into their apartment. It's an IHC kit that I added the entrance to. Behind them a CN freight passes by and behind that - a fake sky. Actually, the sky is real, but was added in Photoshop.
Shamus, thanks for the mini tutotial. I figured out how to change the f-stop. Now I just need to get a better lighting set-up. Ah, more $$$$$$$$....

Attachments

• couple2.jpg
    couple2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 178

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Congratulations

Val, I was impressed with the photos and modelling in your other thread. Now, by all accounts you've mastered your new camera.

I was looking for the couple's Mercedes but I'll assume their car is a Cadillac :) :) Either way, a great photo.

Errol

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Errol! The car is a Chevy Fleetline - I think. It's a Mini-Metals model. Back in Toronto in the 1950's there were no Mercedes, no Beemers, and no cellphones! Speed was measured in mph, not :rolleyes: kilometers. Ah, the good old days :D :D :D

Oh wait! No internet, no digital camera!

Anyway, for the time and place, that brand-new Chev is actually a fairly swanky ride - mainly I liked the grille.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

cheers
:D Val

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
That brings up (no pun intended) an interesting question, is it still a woodie if it's made of plastic?

Put down the gun and back away from the monitor.

Oh ya, I forgot to say AWESOME!!! , but that goes without saying...

On the lighting, I asked on another thread and shamus said your halogen worklights should be the same temp as photo floods. Here in Cobblerss Knob, you can pick 'em up for 5 to 10 american pesos at discount/home improvement stores. I guess digital cams are color balanced for daylight???

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Very nice photo and model, just love that "Chevy "

Shamus
wink.gif

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Casey and Shamus - thanks a lot! I think it's great the way you two excellent modellers always have something positive and encouraging to say about all us wannabes' work. I too love those little mini-scenes in a layout and have scattered a few throughout my diorama.

Jon LOL. As usual your twisted sense of humour is in evidence. Maybe there's another use for that magnifying glass of yours....besides threatening your poor exploited workers that is!

Cheers
:D Val

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by Casey Feedwater
Nice photo and modeling, Val.

I love little "slice-of-life" scenes like yours. Creating vignettes with little people always makes layout and model photos more interesting.

Good job. :)

Val,
Like Casey said, you do seem to grasp the idea of the the complete scene, or "vignette".
By encompassing your models in the elements of their surroundings...so that everything in the photo is "to scale"...not only creates an air of realism, but, (IMHO) elavates model railroading into the realm of art.
You are following in the footsteps of the masters like John Allen, & Gearge Sellios, in the way you put together your scenes.
(Casey, too, is a real master at this.)
In other words, you do really good work, Val!
Keep 'em coming!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ow! I hurt my head just now when I fell onto the floor. John Allen, George Selios!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoa! Those guys are GODS!

All I can say is that if what I'm doing is following in their awesome footsteps, then it's from about a hundred miles behind. Make that a thousand. I mean they do it all - super-realistic structures and scenes, the whole night/day transition and of course the massive layout, running trains. All I'm doing is making a little street scene. I don't even have a trackplan yet and no clue how to make it work if I did have one. I sure am having fun though, and for me that means making it look as real as possible.

Anyway, thanks so much for the very encouraging comments Charlie! You just totally made my day!!!!

Cheers
:eek: Val

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Fine photos!!

Val, like every one else said, your doing great, keep it up.

The nice thing I like about setting up and taking all the shots with the digital camera? If they don't turn out, just delete them and try again. No money wasted!!

Drew

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Val,

If nothing else, that new camera has done a beautiful job of getting your excellent work out to us "Gaugers" and to the hobby world. I am sure if you really want to run trains that the whole group will pitch in with ideas to help you develop a plan. That layout will then be a source for other great photos.

Keep 'em coming.:) :) :)