SW7 re-paint

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I picked up the BLI switcher earlier this week. They didn't have a CNR paint scheme so I decided to do it myself. The LHS also didn't have an undecorated model so I started off with a PRR as it would be easiest.

First I painted the whole engine black, then added Microscale decals for the roadname and cab number, and painted the rails CN yellow as well as the lower part of the walkway. There were no decals for the smaller numbers on the back of the cab, so I made some with my inkjet printer.

I also made sunshades for the cab out of styrene, and then weathered the whole thing.

It's certainly not as good as a factory paint job, but it looks ok for now.

Val

Attachments

• sw7.jpg
    sw7.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 208

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Don't cry Matthew. BLI seems intent on producing the entire PRR roster!

Steve, I haven't had the greatest results from dullcoat, so I don't use it anymore. The dull finish is from some weathering powders. Forget what kind, but they have an adhesive in them that is activated by rubbing.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
2slim said:
Val
Very nice gal!! :thumb:
Does it have sound? Care to give us a critique?
How does the detail compair to say the Proto 2000 SW's?

2slim

Funny you should ask that - I have the Proto SW1200, but unfortunately it's at the LHS getting checked out. The decoder I had installed is not working, or I could sit them side by side and give you a true comparison.

As far as how it runs, it runs smooth, steady and nice and slow. I've pulled a 30-car train with it - the limit of my rolling stock right now. Details are nice and an added plus is that the grab irons are metal.

Val

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Jon. I used Super Cal paper and their Last Step fixative. The prototype numbers are CN yellow with a yellow border around them. I don't have an Alps printer, so I cheated. I used white paper and printed the numbers and outline on a black background. Then I just cut the decal around the border. The illusion worked quite well I think.

Here's a closeup of the decals.

Val

Attachments

• decal.jpg
    decal.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 174

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks very much folks. Graham, I have a little advice from painting this that you might find useful. The part I'm not too happy with is the yellow strip under the walkway. I think I should have airbrushed this first, then masked it, then painted black, instead of the other way around. It would be a lot easier to mask off this strip then to mask everything else.
Oh well, there's always next time!

Val