SW7 cow and calf??? What the?

spitfire

Can anyone tell me what the designations cow and calf mean as applied to SW7's? Is this the same as A and B units on the F7s?

Just found out Broadway Limited Imports is coming out with an SW7 and this may turn out to be a better approach for me than trying to fit speakers into my SW9/1200.

cheers
:D Val

Gary Pfeil

Val, Yes in essence it is the same. The calf has a diesel and traction motors, but no controls, same as a B unit. Hadn't heard of Broadway doing one. Very cool tho! Might have to get one even tho I have no need. But since when does that stop a model railroader? Might even paint it black with red end, I like yours so much!

Gary

spitfire

Originally posted by Gary H Pfeil
Might have to get one even tho I have no need. But since when does that stop a model railroader?

Since when indeed!!!!

I was talking to my LHS and they thought fitting a Soundtraxx decoder and speaker into the P2K SW9/1200 might be a problem. I have been fantasizing about BLI doing a switcher and found out yesterday on the Atlas forum that they are - whooo hoooo!

Atlas forum is down right now, but once it's back I'll post the link. It's to a hobby shop - nothing on the Broadway site yet.

cheers

Gary Pfeil

Val, I know I wouldn't attempt a sound install in a switcher. I recently bought a Stewart VO1000 (about the same size as EMD's, a bit bigger) and since I wanted sound in it, I paid Tony's Train Exchange to install it for me. It sounds great.

Gary

spitfire

Gary, I wouldn't even dream of trying it myself.

Anyway the Atlas site is back up and here's the link to the announcement
http://www.mrrwarehouse.com/

EMD SWITCHERS NW2 phV ; SW7 ph I & II are rostered for
The first roads (2#ea) in fall 2003 at msrp $179.99
NW2 B&O, BN, GN, PRR, SP, UP undec
SW7ph1 C&O, NYC, NP, undec
SWph II BN,C&O,CB&Q,GN,NYC,PRR,UP,undec

I can hardly wait! Their locos are cool cool cool!

cheers

interurban

Hi Val, When I was at Railview yesterday, he had a Steamer on display Fantastic sound system onboard fitted in the tender.
You controll the sound staright of the power pack i.e. brake butten may sound shunt effects the momentom the bells.
Boy o boy o boy
He had 10 boxes ready for sale $399 Canadian I think;)

spitfire

Chris was that by any chance the J3e Hudson?

I've seen it in TH&B livery locally as well as the standard NYC scheme. After much internal debate I settled on the NYC and it is a beauty. So far I've only run it on my DC test track, since that's all I have, but oh man!

Synchronized chuffing, air let-off etc etc but the really AWESOME thing is that there is an option for doppler effect that varies with the speed of the engine. How cool is that?

cheers

interurban

Val, Give Dave @ Rail View a ring you have the ph#. on Monday;)

I must admit I almost bought one gonna wait and see what else they bring out .:D

aartwmich

MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-WWWOOOOWOOOOOOO ..LOL

Hey Val lets see a pic of this huffin chuffin engine huh? This runs off regular DC?

spitfire

Not exactly sure which engine you mean aart. The Broadway Limited Imports SW7 is just announced and there are no pix of it yet, but here's an Athearn unit showing both cow and calf.

Almost forgot, the BLI unit will run off DC or DCC with sound on either.

cheers

Attachments

• cowcalf.jpg
    cowcalf.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 90

aartwmich

I meant this one:

Chris was that by any chance the J3e Hudson?

I've seen it in TH&B livery locally as well as the standard NYC scheme. After much internal debate I settled on the NYC and it is a beauty. So far I've only run it on my DC test track, since that's all I have, but oh man!

Synchronized chuffing, air let-off etc etc but the really AWESOME thing is that there is an option for doppler effect that varies with the speed of the engine. How cool is that? QUOTE

I got the impression that you had one and that it made choochoo(pardon me) sounds with only DC. THAT would be cool!!

spitfire

Ohhhhhh, that one! Yes, you are so right, I do have one. It makes choochoo sounds on DC and DCC - it's actually DCC-equipped, decoder and speaker factory installed -- but on DC you control the bell and horn with the direction switch.

Here's a pic of the first release.

cheers

Attachments

• hudson.jpg
    hudson.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 77