SW-1 (S scale)

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Greg Elems, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I finally dived in and replaced my tin-plate wheel sets with the code 110 wheels provided on my SHS SW-1. Kind of fiddly but well worth the effort. I also put my Kadee couplers on. What an improvement on the visual side. I also put my switcher on the test track to make sure the wheel replacement didn't need to be adjusted or redone. I must say, I'm impressed with the quality of the SHS products. Smooth, quiet and reliable. I would have to rate this engines running qualities right up there with the latest Atlas engines, :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: !

Greg
  2. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hey Greg:
    Have you posted a picture of this little jewel here for the folks to see? They ought to see what "S" is like these days.

Ted
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I should do that. Just need the time to set up a quick backdrop. Maybe monday, since I'm leaving town tomorrow. I will post an update picture on my F-7's too. I changed the wheels and pilot on one and went the whole nine yards and did the roof and nose door on the other. I set them and my F-3's on the test track. I was impressed with the four of them. No DCC to make them work well together and they didn't overload my Bachmann On30 set transformer. I can't say enough about SHS, great products.

Greg
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

[​IMG]
    Here is the jewel with scale couplers installed.

Greg
  5. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Greg, yet again thanks for the info/photo!
    Does in have sound?
    I'm detailing my SHS SW9
    into a CN SW1200RS
    (spark arrestors, front and rear numbers boards,
    etc) Any suggestions on where I could obtain the flexicoil
    trucks for this conversion?

thanks
    ~Joe
  6. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Greg:
    Thanks for posting this picture. That's a sharp looking little engine. I assume it has the same sort of detailing as my SW-9, perforated steps, lighted cab, engineer and fireman, coupler linkage, etc. Amazing what they can cast in plastic these days. The laser cut metal detailing is also something else. Come a long way from trying to cut James Bond in half.

Regard'S',
    Ted
  7. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

If you run AC, you can get them with sound. The detail work is right up there with Atlas and Kato.

Joe, there is a fellow that is working on a SW1500 and flexcoil trucks should be available then. Other than that, I don't know of any being produced. Maybe a urathane casting could be made if we could get an original. Sure wish I had more time, since I would like to do a WP SW1500.

Greg
  8. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Greg, thanks for the info, I would sure be interested in the flexicoil trucks.
    Please let me know if you have a
    email or address I can have so I may contact him.

~Joe
  9. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Joe,

Are you modeling S in scale or American Flyer tin-plate standards? Just curious, since I model in scale with code 100 track and scale wheels. My preference for couplers is Kadee S.

As for the flexcoil trucks, I don't know how far along this fellow is, and I'm providing reference pictures. You bet I will keep the updates on the project coming.

The time frame of your modeling is probably the best for variety of cars, IMHO. Even the locomotives were still varied without the flood of cookie cutter GEs.

Greg
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Nice lookin' loco and pic, Greg! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  11. SuperSport

SuperSport Member

Hi Greg I model in scale, code 100 track, 802 couplers, etc
    and just looking into Proto 64?
    Greg I can obtain "blueprint plans" for the flexicoil trucks
    if need be?
    Yes a GP40 from someone (AM or SHS) would be neat!

~Joe
  12. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Blue print plans, very interesting. Mind if I pass that along to the gentleman who is working on the SW1500?

Greg