Suspension bridge

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Cool. I'm glad to have feedback indicating the abutment looks ok. thanks everyone. Steve, the piers and abutment are from Chooch, I just had to cut the piers down and have to shim the abutment up. The detail on them is great, I still need to highlight them a bit to make that detail pop out. But overall they are done. Thanks again.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Ken, I would love to meet you and visit a couple hobby shops, but I am flying down on a Saturday and leaving on the following Saturday. If you could do it on a Sunday, that would be great.

Gary

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Hmmm...

...if a company had that much money to plant that much labor into those beautiful piers- why would they top it off with wood? Is this a typical bridgework?

Was there a budget crisis at the time the bridge was being built? After all, you're building a history. If you told me that's what happened I'd say OK- you're the boss. As a an observer I ask the question out of curiousity.

The look of those pilings tell me big- wait a sec, BIG BUCKS! Topped off by what sucks uP mud inna swamp crossing? Steel I'd buy- seems reasonable. Wood? Uh- plenty of rock- why not rock to the top???

Anyway, I like it.

Mark

P.S. I did edit this reply.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Mark, Your point is well taken and in fact was my first concern when I thought about using the stone piers. It seemed unlikely to me. The truth is that I had that bridge laying around from a previous layout. I had already built the benchwork and roadbed in that area when I unpacked that bridge and found it was the right length for that span. However, its bents were to short. I considered building new bents and that may be the right thing to do. I wrestled with the idea of what else I could do instead. I had three other bridges to build which also span that river, so decided to go ahead and put this one on piers. I had asked Blake for his opinion and he thought it was plausible, but couldn't referance an example. So I ask any fellow Gauge members if they can provide any prototype situation which would help justify what I am going to do regardless! In regard to those other three bridges, a deck girder carrying the double track main is finished except for weathering its concrete piers, another wooden trestle for the Garfield branch is approaching completion, its deck has running rails laid (with tie plates and four spikes per tie, what was I thinking) its bents are built, just need to install guard rails, wood walkway and railing and a lot of bolt/washer castings, and the fourth is a road bridge nearing completion as well. I need to get the bridges in place so I can finish the riverbanks prior to pouring the river itself.

I'm glad you edited your post, I did see the original last night but was too tired to respond. I should tell fellow members that Mark and I know each other and ...kind of understand each other. He's a dick, a dick, a big fat dick. Not to be misconstued as flaming, its just a blast from the past.

Mark, with the weather due to improve soon you should consider coming up one weekend day, I'll have Blake over to do some operating.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Gary, just an idea:

The trestle looks quite new and un-weathered.
So what do you think about the following story: A few weeks back a severe thunderstorm led to a heavy flash flood which took out the old steel deck bridge :(.
Since this line is VERY important, something had to be done - and QUICK! So the track maintenance dept. installed a wooden trestle - until a new steel bridge is constructed. ;) The traffic gets through, but of course the bridge can only be crossed at low speed (15 mph?), much to the consternation of the engineers! :mad:

Of course, in this case the piers and abutments look way too new. They should be heavily weathered, overgrown with some moss. Perhaps there is still some debris of the flood around, and on the upper surfaces of the piers there are heavy rust stains visible. Perhaps a little bit downstream there are one or two girders looking out of the mud... :rolleyes:

Ron

PS: Sorry, I can't offer any pic - such a situation is not very common... :D :D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Gary,
I was just going to bite my tounge for a bit, the trestle, resting on those stone piers just looks too good to change it, and the abutments match the piers, so no problem there. All it needs is a good story.
The steel arches on my modules originally carried only narrow gauge track. Someone commented that the bridge was "too expensive" for narrow gauge.......I made it dual gauge!
Pete

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Gary, you're sooooooo...

...right. Hehehehehehe. But, I knew you'd appreciate my comments and your consideration tells me so.

Tell ya the truth- I was typing like I was talking with ya.

I am getting ready for the first burst of that earthy smell from the ground that tells me spring is here and then I'll make a Bee Line. All these little teases here on The Gauge are making me crazy.

It's nice coming home with a little daylight now so it won't be long.

Catch ya inna bit.

Oh- I'm gonna post the MCL Track Plan for you and Blake look over and beat up. I'll drop an email with the link.

Mark

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Pete, I guess a good story is all I need, huh? Thanks to Ron and David for providing a couple. I like the idea of adding rust streaks down the piers and abutments, they should look good. If you were to see the entire area of the river it would be apparent that it couldn't flood to that level (there is a small damn just downstream, you can see where the unpainted plywood ends and some painted a light blue is beyond, that is where the damn is). But that's ok, I like it anyway. If anyone gives me a hard time, I'll do what Jon suggested in another thread, I'll give em a raspberry. In a few days I'll post a picture from the other end of the river, where the other wood trestle will be. Thanks everybody!

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Ok Gary, so there was no flood... hmmm... Hey, the bridge is at the end of a curve! Ok, here we go again:

Remember the night four months ago when Bill 'Blast-off' Throttleman ran way too fast down the line? :mad:

Ten feet ahead of the steel deck bridge (again!!! :D) the inevitable happened: His engine left the track, rattled out onto the bridge, which was shifted sideways and crashed down into the river, taking half the train with it. :eek:

End of the story (emergency repair with a trestle...) --> just like like before! :D :D :D

This way you don't even have to generate a thunderstorm. BTW: Billy survived the crash with only a few scratches - but the rest of the engineers were happy that you fired this LPB on the spot. ;)

Ron

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I've been working on the other wood trestle which crosses the same river as the bridge which started this thread. I now only have to finish the walkway, then glue the bents on and install. The road bridge is just behind.

Attachments

• p1010181jpg.jpg
    p1010181jpg.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 53