Surfdukes apollo card models

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by gpw, Jul 8, 2007.

1. gpw

gpw Member

Hallo,

during the last weeks I built some of surfdukes marvelous apollo card models. Great design with a lot of fun to built it. :yep:Here some photos which I uploaded to the gallery.

Gerd

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
  2. SteveM

SteveM Member

I don't know where you got that mess of html code, but what you want to do is to view the photo (not the thumbnail) in the gallery. Below the picture is a box called "BB code". Copy that and paste it into your posting; like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steve
  3. gpw

gpw Member

Photos

Thank you Steve for the hint.
    You already showed the cms, her are the other photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

thats soo cool!!! i'm gunna start building that too =D
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Very nice build.
  6. George B

George B Senior Member

Nice!!!!!

VERY nice Gerd! You've done a great job, makes me want to stop what I'm building and start on those.
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Outstanding work! Thanks for showing us your builds. You can be very proud of them.

Bravo Surfduke for designing such amazing replicas and sharing them with us!!! :thumb:
  8. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hi does anyone know what to do for the interior walls? i don't understand the instruction...thanks:D
  9. gpw

gpw Member

Thank you all for your compliments, but I just built it - surfduke designed it. Thanks and bravo from my side for designing this amazing and challenging card models.
    I hope you will continue your work with your other models like skylab, soyuz, mercury etc.

Gerd
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Thanks!

What a cool thing to see builds! I love doing this stuff. As for the interior walls question, (Send me a PM, (I'll try and help You out)).

Thanks for shareing the pictures, (I love it)!

Carl
  11. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

OMG That is SO Freakishly Awesome, I am in the build right now and mine is nowhere as good as yours. I also am a bit confused about the interior walls and Gerd, do you think you could give me a few pics of the top hatch and the docking probe?and how did you make the inside of the hatchway? That doesn't look like a piece of the kit.
    Lucas
  12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Just great, good job. Carl would and is prowd of your work.
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

I second the motion; great builds, and thanks for sharing the photos.

We cardmodelers who build "real space" subjects are indeed living in a golden age when we have several talented designers, like Carl, coming up with great models and offering them online. I can't begin to imagine the time he has spent researching this stuff, then coming up with a way to turn a two-dimensional platform into a three-dimensional models. But there are some other gifted designers out there, too; I'd start naming names but I'd probably leave some out by accident and I would hate to have them feel bad.

But I say "thanks," and I also say Gerd has done a fine job.
  14. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Yes this is definetly the best of Sufdukes models So far but ofcourse this is the first one he made and I am not sure yet about the others but it will come in due time as always. Lots of great models coming out so little time to do them all. I really want to build oall of Carl's models but school will just get in the way (DUH) I wish I could get a clen model like that and plus I don't know how you did the EVA rails, Gerd, I tried but I couldn't get them to fold right. GRRRRR!!! I am Alos somewhat confused on the top hatch and the docking probe. How did you figure them out? and can you show use some pics of the hatch and docking probe. to show how these piueces go together I feel I did mine wrong :(. Thanks Gerd and Happy building to All. Thanks So Very Much Carl for this wonderful model of yours and we look forward to seeing more.
    Lucas
  15. gpw

gpw Member

Hallo Lucas,

I prepared some photos of the hatchway, the docking probe and the eva rails. All this parts I didn´t built according to surfdukes kit. To be honest, I had to make it a little bit easier for me (excuse me Carl !! :twisted:).

For the hatchway I couldn´t use the original parts, because after preparing the interior box and the outer cm walls they didn´t fit together exactly - the space between both was too big :curse:. So I laminated and formed cardstock to the necassary thickness which I used as spacers. After cutting out the 'hatch hole' I glued this spacer to the internal side of the outer cm wall. The same I did with the side windows. After this it was very easy to fit the interior box in a correct way. To make it look better I glued this light yellow hatchway around the cutting edges.

Like you, I didn´t know exactly how to built the docking probe. That´s the reason why it´s looking so simple and far away from reality. But recently I found a photo, may be it helps you to make it better.

The eva rails I laminated to cardstock like shown in the photo. That´s quite easy and gives very stable parts.

Would be nice to see some photos after you have finished your model.

Gerd

[​IMG]
  16. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Thanks Gerd. I notice that you don't have the one piece of the hatch for the probe. There was a piece that looked like a hatch
    (#55 if you remeber) the instructions said to glue t onto that piece. Do you think you could get a few pics of the insides for me? I am having trouble with the art where the box structure meets the sides of the CM and also meets the side panels. It sounds confusing but... And just a friendly sugestion to Carl, could you quite possibly put pictures of the docking probe and the hatch and some other pieces on the instructions just to get everyone on the right track. Thanks again Gerd and I will post pictures when I get finished
    Lucas
  17. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I forgot to mention that your parachutes on the model look like they were modified ofr something. Tell me if that is so and get a few pics of that as well if you can. lol
    Thanks again Gerd.
    Lucas
  18. gpw

gpw Member

Lucas,

I am not sure that I used part 55, maybe I modified it and used the modification to create the light grey inner ring of the docking tunnel (you see on the attached photo).

To make pictures from the inside is not possible for me wthout destroying the model. Sorry. Maybe Carl can help you.

Gerd

[​IMG]
  19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

P.M. Me Lucas

I need Your email again. I have pictures of the interior and wall construction.

Carl
    P.S.
    I think Mike Vink put them in the last instruction update, (If not it is because I did not send Him all the pictures, (Please note that all fault is mine, if that is the case)).
  20. gpw

gpw Member

For the parachutes I used the original parts of the kit. I folded and fixed them somehow. Until today I don´t know how the parachutes look in reality. I tried to find some pictures in the net, but I wasn´t successful.

Who can help Lucas and me ?