Supreme Commander Models

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, May 1, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Oh my ... I just founfd out how to extract the models from Supreme Commander. There are some really interesting potential paper models in there! I sense a future project.....:p
  2. astrospud

astrospud Member

Woohoo! Way to go Flarebaffled! :)
    Can you please share this majick with us? What apps do you need to extract the models?
    Can't wait to see some pics.
    Regards
    Marc
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Aside from the obvious coy Supreme Commander, all you need is either winzip or winrar to open the archive files, 3DS Max, and the scmtools plugin.

The SCD files are just zip files in another form. I found the plugin on the GPG forums. Scmtools1.1b is the latest version.

The rest is then going to be a question of tidying, re-applying the textures, and turning it into a papermodel!

The link to the basic 'get into the files' is here: GPGnet :: View topic - What do I need to create a Mod?

The plugin link is in here:
    GPGnet :: View topic - 3DSMax Exporter

read it through until you get to version 1.1b!!!!!
  4. astrospud

astrospud Member

Unfortunately, I don't have Max. I'll have to wait for the development of open source apps to export.
    All good! :)
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Which version of MAX?
  6. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

lookin forward to seeing them!
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I have tested it on Max 7, so it should work on that and higher at the very least!
  8. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

I'm not familiar with this game. Any chance of some pics of what models we may be seeing?
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

10. Mace

Mace Member

Nice is it possible to extract all the models that you know of (like land/air/sea) . Because then I have go down to the shop and buy me a version of Supreme commander.
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Sure looks that way! Haven't found one yet that hasn't converted.
  12. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

I'd particularly like to see the aircraft
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You need a honkin big machine to run it ... what's really cool is that it supports 2 monitors. You can be zoomed in at any level on one monitor and zoomed out on the other.

Unfortunately the scale of what goes on in the game and the effective ranges of the vehicles make the game less of an RTS and more of a dots attacking other dots affair.

The designs are great though.
  14. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I run it quite nicely on my humble rig.... all I needed to do to get it to run smoothly when the battles REALLY kick off was to replace the CPU, RAM, Motherboard, graphics card, power supply and add some extra cooling.

My mouse was already well up to the task.....

:p

You will need at least a dual core CPU, and a quad is probably a good idea. A stack of RAM and a GF8800GT are also needed. Lower spec machines will run the game fine...until the first time the enemy throws a big tank rush, and then you get a slide show!

For me, current specs are: Q6600 quad core, 4Gb PC6400 RAM, GF8800GT and it runs well.

For the nervous amongst you, the add-on ( Forged Alliance ) needs more computer than the original.....
  15. Mace

Mace Member

That's just SICK :p
    I've been watching the screen shots and i really looks like a modern version of Total Annihilation... which runs just perfect om my old 233mhz Server :)
    But to play Supreme Commander I need to up my memory and graphics card :(
    I already have a 6600 Quad.... I'm missing 2 gigs of RAM and I have 7300GS.
    I ordered my copy of Supreme commander yesterday....I hope I don't get a slideshow.
  16. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The original game is still going strong today. I have SC and it runs ok on my AMD 2500+ 1gig ram and AGP Radeon x1950. When the game starts pushing around a lot of models it begins to chug.

I'm hoping to get my new system within the next week or so. If so ... I will look at exporting the models.