Supermodel PzKpfw 1A Build

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by charliec, May 9, 2007.

1. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Charlie, You Just Volunteered … I am really looking forward to this build.

Jim Nunn
  2. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Don,

Those are great drawings, where did you find them?

Jim Nunn
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

The 4-view looks like the Modelist-Konstructor drawing from their Pz 1 book - (mk-armour.narod.ru) but it has been reversed.

Regards,

Charlie
  4. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I have no idea Jim. I did a google image search for "bison" at least a year ago when I was considering this conversion. I saved the jpegs to my computer, but I couldn't tell you where they are from.
  5. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

6. charliec

charliec Active Member

7. Maurice

Maurice Member

8. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I found photo #24 interesting. It appears to be some kind of a variant. The front of the armor superstructure is much taller than normal, extending up several feet above the sides. It also extends down at the same angle all the way to the mudguard/fender. Perhaps it is an extra layer of armor installed in the field? Picture #14 is instructive too. It's the only photo I've ever seen of the Sturmpanzer I with the superstructure removed. I suppose the hole left by the absent turret was just left open for "easy" driver access, although he still would have had to have been a contortionist to get in there with that artillery piece sitting over the opening.
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

Don
    Photo #24, is that a plate that goes all the way across the front or just some pole like thingies resting on the front right track guard and against the front plate ?
    Hard to tell.
  10. charliec

charliec Active Member

It's been rattling around the neurons for a while - I thought I'd reintroduce it without the historical reference. Few read history anyway...

I think it's poles resting on the front plate in Photo #24 - just the sort of thing the troops would do if they had to drive the Sturmpanzer out of very soft ground.

Regards,

Charlie
  11. charliec

charliec Active Member

I think the original Panzer 1 hulls for the Sturmpanzer were cut down like the driving instruction vehicles were - turret and central armoured section removed.
    That would leave a pretty big hole under the gun for the driver to access his position. Pity there are no surviving Sturmpanzers.

Regards,

Charlie