Supermodel PzKpfw 1A Build

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by charliec, May 9, 2007.

1. charliec

charliec Active Member

I've had this model in my heap for ages and thought it might be interesting to build it as a comparision with my Ausf F build.

The Supermodel kit comes as a B4 sized booklet with 4 parts pages, a single page of instructions and background (in Polish) and a page of build diagrams.

The card used is quite unusual - gloss finished and seems quite brittle. However the colour of the parts is odd. Someone (rockpaperscissors, I think) else described it as "pumpkin". The track is printed in a metallic ink.

I couldn't handle the colour so scanned the parts and recolored with Gimp. The text says the model represents a Panzer 1A issued to the Afrika Corps (21st Panzer Division) in 1941 as a reconnaisance vehicle. As far as I can determine the standard colours used in 1941 were a mid-brown base coat with grey blotches. I've seen photos of Panzer 1s from this period which don't seem to show a second oversprayed colour so I've made it a uniform brown colour. I based the colour on the Don color take on RAL 8000 - lightened it a bit to account for the scale effect.

The model was designed by Marian and Jaroslaw Sobel so it should fit together pretty well. Marian Sobel designed most (all?) of Halinski's AFV models - there aren't too many complaints about fit with Halinski models.

Regards,

Charlie
  2. charliec

charliec Active Member

The frame of the model is very simple and a bit floppy in my opinion. I reinforced it with card right angles to try to stiffen it. The idea of using graph paper on card to make it easy to generate reinforcers works very well.

I also used Jim Nunn's technique of building the framing card from laminated copy paper. This works really well - the resulting laminate is quite stiff and is quite easy to cut. I think I'd use something like a rolling pin and board to press each sheet as it is glued to the laminate.

I think I'll do the tracks next using the same technique I used with the 1F build.

Regards,

Charlie
  3. nibel

nibel Member

Looks good to me. I am waiting to see more :)
  4. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Good tip on the graph paper Charlie. I'll have to glue a sheet to some card stock so it'll be handy when needed. The hull formers look thicker than the 1.0mm I'm used to seeing - of course, it is a pretty small tank which may make them appear that way. You've recolored the hull which will make a huge difference, do you plan on doing the same for the tracks? Mine are very shiny silver - not very realistic at all.

Regards,
    Don
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

According to my vernier caliper the frame card is 1.04mm - you're right though - it is a small tank. It could be an illusion because the edge of the card has a similar appearance as the surface - perhaps our brains tend to judge thickness based on cues about brightness - with the laminated copy paper the edges appear slightly brighter than the surface.

To build the tracks in a similar way to the Panzer 1F build I've scanned the silver tracks then removed all the colour leaving only the outlines of the track elements. I'll finish the tracks with acrylic when I get them built. My current thinking is a brown/grey colour. I think operating in desert conditions wouldn't
    lead to build up of crud and rust on the tracks as you get in wetter conditions. The Panzer 1A tracks don't have grousers so wear on the tracks would be spread across the whole track. The Supermodel instructions suggest that the track should be assembled with grousers but this isn't right for a Pz 1.

Fortunately there are a number of Panzer 1 survivors in museums (Spain operated the Pz 1A into the 1950s) which means there's a lot of photo evidence for this tank's appearance.

Regards,

Charlie
  6. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Charlie,

WIth the laminate, did you use a spray adhesive?
  7. charliec

charliec Active Member

Absolutely - Jim Nunn (whose idea this is) specifies 3M 77 spray adhesive but I used a local version of this.

Regards,

Charlie
  8. charliec

charliec Active Member

I'm undecided which way to progress this build.....

The model seems pretty accurate but there are a number of places where it could be improved by a bit of scratch building and some borrowing of parts from the Panzer 1F. Since I'm reporting the build I'll leave it up to the community to decide.

The options are:

1. Stick to the Supermodel instructions so you get to see roughly what the model looks like "out of the box"

2. Modify and add bits so the model looks more like a Panzer 1A deployed in 1941.

Regards,

Charlie

ps. There isn't a third option of building 2 of them.
  9. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I'd vote for option 2.
  10. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I'd vote for option 2 as well. It would be interesting to see your methods for modifying/detailing this tank.

Regards,
    Don
  11. tino

tino Member

I have build this model and I think that it is a good model and but simple. If you have more details easy available. Go to the 2.
  12. charliec

charliec Active Member

The tracks were built using the same technique documented for the Panzer 1F build. I've tried to emulate the dark brown colour of manganese steel rust with a grey wear strip where the roadwheels run. Cutting out and gluing on the guide plates was a seriously tedious task.

The stray track links in the image are from the Panzer 1F just to show how much finer the 1A tracks were compared to the later AFV.

Regards,

Charlie
  13. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

The tracks look terrific Charlie. Those guide plates must have driven you batty. Did you use a simple jig or spacer down the center of the track to keep them all aligned and spaced evenly, or did you just eyball it? I see every guide plate also has a v-notch cut into it. It must have taken you many hours to build them. I admire your perseverance. I don't know if I could muster the "sticktoitivness".
    Regards,
    Don
  14. charliec

charliec Active Member

Pretty much eyeball all the way. You're right though it took a long time to cut them out - the original had a curved section cut out of the guide plates - I simplified it to a triangular cut out. Perhaps I should have done a Pz 1B - the guide plates were solid on that model. I'm not sure about the persistence comment - I think once I got started I realised that I either had to push on and finish or junk the idea and possibly wind up with a solution which would take even longer.

Regards,

Charlie
  15. charliec

charliec Active Member

I haven't abandoned this build - although I've been tempted to....

The roadwheels have turned into a "learning challenge" but after a bunch of false starts I think I'm on track now. Will report when I get them finished.

Anyone spot my error in the roadwheels of the Panzer 1F? - the outer roadwheels should have 7 ribs rather than the 6 I did. The original model got it wrong as well - it specified 8 ribs.

Anyone interested in a Sturmpanzer 1? - I've got the Modelik Panzer 1 Ausf B and Answer SIG-33 150mm howitzer kits - might be interesting.

Regards,

Charlie
  16. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

I'd love to see a Sturmpanzer I Charlie. I bought the SIG-33 kit with the same conversion in mind.
    Regards,
    Don
  17. barry

barry Active Member

I watch all you build can't make comments other than fantastic cos I don't know anything about tanks.
  18. charliec

charliec Active Member

Thank you - I have similar views about your ships.

I thought I'd better find an image of the Sturmpanzer - it's not a well known AFV - very few were produced.

Lots of authors refer to this vehicle as the "Bison" - apparently this name is a post war invention according to Jentz and Doyle.

Regards,

Charlie
  19. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

Charlie, you have a great amount of talent in your hands. Great looking model. I build small 'cause it scares me when I see many pieces in the bigger scales. The Sturmpanzer would make an interesting project, I wonder if Roman has that on his "to do" list? John
  20. rockpaperscissor

rockpaperscissor Member

Charlie, here are a couple of views: