Super Mystere

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by mor54, May 9, 2009.

1. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi all,

Didn't poste anything for a long time. In the last month I was recovering from a computer crash down, that take with him 3 month of data without back-up, including the X-15.

This build is of a Super Myster, serving in the Israeli Air Force (IAF). First prototype flight was in 1955, and as an in-between aircraft - Myster IVA and Mirage III, only 180 aircraft were produced. The aircraft served in IAF from 1958 and was a first line interceptor until the Mirage arrival in 1962, and as a fighter bomber until 1975. In 1970 the aircraft was upgraded by replacing the Atar 101 engine with the Skyhawk's J-52 engine. In this configuration he was called SAAR, and this is the model I am building.

[​IMG]

The basick paper model is an IAF Magazine model from the 60's (yes almost 50 years ago !!), nose design was improved by Beany Lighter an Isreali modeler, and the camouflage was added for aircraft 008, with Photo Shop program by another Isreali modeler Yoav Hozemi, that did an excellent job.

[​IMG]

Model fuselage is done from 9 parts with formers, and assembly of the parts was good, except bonding parts 2 and 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In bonding patrs 2 and 3, I found that the rear of part 2 is wider than part 3. Repair was done by cuting the bond line in part 2 and re-bonding it to part 3 from the top (black strip) and moving to both sides. Any way, I am planing to replace the lower part of part 2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I am working on the intake, for next time.

Shalom Mor
  2. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Welll done so far
  3. PModel Rookie

PModel Rookie Member

I can see the fittings are good,and a good build too!
    Good job!

Regards,
    Daus
  4. Janx

Janx Member

A great subject and a good start, keep it up :)
  5. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Shalom,

Can you please send your comments also to Yoav?

Thanks, Moshe
  6. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi,

Another small update for today. First thing was to repair the lower part, cut it out and replaced with a new one that was printed at a scale of 103%.

[​IMG]

The nose part was than bonded to the fuselage. I am planing to do a transperent canopy, so I shold not forget to inseret the cockpit....

[​IMG]

To allow inserting the canopy later, parts 4 and 5 were bonded only at the bottom and along the canopy area at the top, that will be cut out.

[​IMG]

Finaly, a picture of the aircraft in the Israeli Air Force museum.

[​IMG]

Till next time,

Shalom Mor
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

looks great! if you lost the x-15 (ken wests) shoot me an email cgutzmer at gmail period com

I will verify your purchase and send you a copy
    Thanks!
    Chris
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shalom Mor!

It's looking good. I wish some one would design a new 1/33 scale for this bird. Maybe one day we can talk Ken to have a go at it.

john
  9. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi all, thanks for the interest and encouraging comments. I know that Yuav is finalising another model, one that the card modelers in Israel are waiting for a long time - the S.O. Vautour, and it will be my next build.

Chris, thank you very much for your offer, appreciate it very much, will send an email soon.

Thanks,

Shalom Mor
  10. mor54

mor54 Member

Another update for today - vertical tail and dorsal spine, that allowes me to assemble the inner cockpit, that was taken from kfir model

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aircraft 008 is from the Scorpion Squadron in 1973.

[​IMG].

Shalom Mor
  11. mor54

mor54 Member

Another small update, wings are bonded to the fuselage, wing tips and extended leading edges are separate parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next building steps are to finish the tail, wings, and start scratchbuilding the landing gear, canopy and fuel tanks. For some of it I am planing to use Photoshop and do some solids.

[​IMG]

Shalom Mor
  12. 757rol

757rol New Member

Wonderful SAAR Model

Hello, wonderful build you got there :mrgreen:

I really wish to build one in the Honduran Air Force Version, this is a great aircraft, I sure miss the engine sound when they made fly bys over the city..,:thumb:
  13. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi all, thanks for the interest.

Poshing forward with another update. Wings are finished, with the leading edge extentions and wing tips bonded in place. To image the wing tip thikness, I used a 1mm card cut in the wing's shape, inserted and bonded. After the bonding dry off, it was filled with a number of adhesive layers, and than painted.

[​IMG]

Now to the scratchbuilding part - the landing gear wells. while cutting out the maine gear doors, I was supprised to fined a former in this area.

[​IMG]

I prefered not to remove the former, so decided to build the model only with part of the landing doors opened, as seen in the next picture, taken from
    http://idfaf.110mb.com/SMystere/SMBD08.html

[​IMG]

Another scratchbuilding in process is the canopy. To shape it I will use a mold, that will be casted in a shape of the canopy, enlarged by 10% to allow smoothing it later.

[​IMG]

Shalom Mor
  14. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi all,

Didn't post for a long time. This model is in "competition" with another model in progres - SAAR 2 missile boat, presented in the ships category. So it's a small update, but better than nothing.

Continue working on the cockpit - front panel and ejection seat. Front panel is screatchbuild, for the panel I used a picture that was scaled down.

[​IMG]

Ejection seat is based on on old Fiat G91 model, with a transperent canopy.

[​IMG]

Hoping to post more updates soon,

Shalom Mor
  15. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Welcome back Mor! That's quite an impressive instrument panel and ejection seat!
  16. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi all,

Only now I realize that I didn't post an update for 3 month. We have a model show at 1/4/2010 and need to complet it to the end of March.

The cockpit is almost complit, only the steak and gunsight are missing. Seat taken from Fiat g91 model, was repainted in brown, and the head-rest is scratchbuild.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fuel tanks with pylons, partialy scratchbuild are done. Each one is made of 10 parts.

[​IMG]

Weapons for the SAAR configuration will include 2 fuel tanks, 8 100kg bombs on two pylons and 2 Shafrir 2 air to air missiles. Bombs are done and started to scratchbuild the adaptor for them.

[​IMG]

Shalom Mor
  17. nh3ave2006

nh3ave2006 Member

WOW! Very Nice!
  18. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi all,

Landing gear is done, and the model is on it's gear. Maine and nose landing gears were scratchbuild, based on drawings and detail pictures.
    The wheels are made of card rings with 1mm diameter difference, bonded together and then filled to the right shape with a filler and smoothed with fine glass paper, and painted black. Maine gear legs are made of wood sticks wraped with paper to give it the diferent thicknes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nose gears made of a bended metal rod. For the gear dors, I used the model design, and at the inner side bondded a card board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gear is done, weapons are scratchbuild and almost complit, and the only chalnge left is the canopy.

Shalom Mor
  19. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi all,

Weapons are ready, it includs 2 air to air Shafrir 2 missiles, 2 fuel tanks and 8 bombs, all of it was scratchbuild.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last challenge is the cockpit ...

Shalom Mor
  20. peter taft

peter taft Senior Member

Love it, love it, love it.... your build of this beauty is excellent :thumb:, the scratch built cart is very impressive :thumb: . I am sure the canopy will pose little problem to you with your talent :cool:

EXCELLENT WORK !