Super-detailed Arwing design thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Millenniumfalsehood, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Okay, I finally got back from vacation and while I was there I took my time and created an accurate set of orthographics based on the currently available pictures of the detailed Arwing model in the manual of the game Starfox. Here's the drawing as it stands:

[​IMG]

I realize the back end view doesn't match the view from the game, but the game model's wings are shorter and spaced wider.

I'm going to make this one really detailed, with greebles in the engine compartment, in the groove along the G-Diffusers, and the axles for the wing parts. I'm also going to include the Twin Blasters on the wings because they should be there to begin with(it's a little hard to install a new weapon system in the middle of a dogfight with lasers and missiles flying around you). I'll also create a full cockpit, minus a pilot. It'll be based on the N64 version of the Arwing because the cockpit isn't visible in the original game.
  2. voltron5

voltron5 Member

Awesome, not only are you a talented designer your a talented artist to boot.
    will you be making this one available for download as well? Keep up the good work!
  3. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Thank goodness your back ^_^
    And with a great new design too, gonna go crazy with them greebles I see? Well, can't wait to see some progress, I love your desk model :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

4. Millenniumfalsehood

Great build there, Soaring! Glad someone decided to build it. :D

Voltron, I will be making this one freely available as I do with all my models. :thumb:
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Okay, got some work done today on the model itself. The wing connectors will be modeled later, but I thought I'd share what I have so far:

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the engines. I'm merging both the game model and the Nintendo magazine's model by using three exhaust cans behind a set of thrust vectoring vanes:

[​IMG]

I know it's a little out-of-proportion, but I'll simply scale it around a bit until it looks right. Then it's time to texture.
  6. Soaring

EXcellent! This is simply amazing, I cant wait for those greebles!
  7. Millenniumfalsehood

Me neither. They'd be easier than trying to match this model to the manual.

I have been playing around with the proportions and I have found a good arrangement of the components:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reconciling the model to the manual is getting to be a pain, but I'm fleshing it out. I should be done soon.
  8. Soaring

Looking good, keep it up ;)
  9. Kjev

Kjev Member

Looks awesome!

Will there be a teeny-tiny version for the Great Star Fox?

I'll have to stock up on midget critters for a ground crew diorama! 8P

K'Jev
    8)
  10. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

definitely cant wait for this one. good luck with the rest of the model
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

I'm refining it more and more as I go. I created the cockpit a few minutes ago, complete with ejection seat and joystick:

[​IMG]

The last thing I did was the mounts for the G-Diffusers and wings, and now the model is ready for texturing:

[​IMG]
  12. Soaring

Loving the cockpit, the entire Arwing is looking great! Whats your take on how large this model will be?
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

At least 18-20 inches long. There are some tiny parts on this that would be impractical at any smaller sizes. :)
  14. Soaring

18-20 inches?!?!?!?Hehe, I'll rescale it and makew it only30 centimeters :)
    I'll find a way with those tiny parts!
  15. Millenniumfalsehood

It will be 1:24 scale when printed, so if you print at 50% you'll get 1:48 and if you print at 25% you'll get 1:72. Those are the most common aircraft scales, so you can build it up and compare it to other fighters. I'm going to make both a 1:24 version and a 1:48 version, the latter to display with a Finemolds X-wing.
  16. Soaring

Oh, Thanks for the scaling help, you saved me the trouble for fin ding the thread that shows some scaling. ;)

So, as in texturing, do you mean you're going to slap some color onto that via Meta. Or are you going to go manual and texture it using its 2D pattern?
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

I'm going to go the easy route and texture it in Meta. I just started making the textures in Paint.NET; right now I'm making the basic outlines.
  18. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

M.F.,

She's lookin fantastic :D I'm getting excited between Soaring's and your efforts there will be some great Starfox models at last :D

So how's the texturing going?

G1
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

It's going good. Texturing is my *least* favorite part of modeling, so I'm naturally taking my good ole easy time about it. Plus I had to find a way to make burn marks in Paint.NET and make several new textures of areas I forgot about. But it's getting there, just slowly. :oops:
  20. Sigma0283

Sigma0283 New Member

Looking good any chance of it being released soon?