Sunset Models HO SP 2-6-0 mogul problem

steamaholic

This is my first post. I've been reading for over a year. In November 2008 I received my first Sunset Models HO SP M-9 2-6-0 Mogul. It lasted two weeks before the 1/4" plastic hose coupling the motor shaft to the gearbox wore out. The motor shaft would spin, but the gearbox shaft didn't. Sunset replaced that model for me, and two weeks later the same problem. Again, I returned and received a replacement model. Now, for a third time, within a week of receiving a replacement model, the 1/4" hose is slipping, which means I have to lift the shell and fiddle with it. For $700, I feel like sending it back for a refund. Does anyone out there have a similar model and experience such a problem? Does anyone know of a cure for this? The space between the motor and gearbox is a little more than 1/4", so there there is barely any room for working a longer hose. Sunset Models has told me no one else has had such a problem with this particular model. Why me? This is a warning for anyone out there who is considering purchasing this model. It looks great, but doesn't run worth crap. My lesson: never spend more than $300 for a locomotive.

ed acosta

I have quite a few Sunset models with no problem, so I believe the coupling is made of a new untested material. I might be angry enough to ask for a full refund. However, if this is a model you want to keep, perhaps you might experiment before sending it back. Rubber tubing is ideal where flexible connections are desired, but rubber has a dendency to 'age' and disintegrate over time. So, I would suggest using the clear, flexible neoprene tubing that they sell in most pet stores that sell aquarium supplies. They come in various sizes and you might find one that fits the motor shaft/gearbox shaft snuggly.

BTW, I won't pay over $100 for any locomotive made of plastic!
-Ed

steamaholic

Ed

Thanks, Ed. I do want to keep the model because I used to see them go by my parents house as a kid, and I was fond of them. $700.00 is the least expensive model I have found searching the web. This is a beauty of a model locomotive and very accurate. I also have two other Sunset models that I paid half the price, and they work very well. A friend suggested I use a special metal lined tubing that is used for slot cars. But, it is a bitch to be handling these little, delicate jewels and not bend anything.

toptrain1

2-6-0 reply

***Can you turn the gear towers input shaft and get the drivers to turn easily. If not their may be a problum with the gears. You should be able to turn the shaft and the drivers should turn. If the drive is restricted that would quickly wear out the plactic tubeings grip. This is intensionaly built into the drive to save the motor and gears. A mechinal link would wear out one or the other. Also you can put some super glue on a pin head and apply it to the inside of the tubing to improve it's grip.
frank

I would'nt use glue on the tubing just take the problem tubing to your LHS and buy a small package of model airplane fuel line a size smaller and replace it with that. works every time.....

steamaholic

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, GN, before I did the damage. The silicone connector is 1/4" long--not enough for the shafts to grab tightly. I hope the airplane fuel line works this time. Otherwise, I'm removing the motor and gears and use the engine as a dummy helper. Sunset Models doesn't care to look into the problem as of yet. I'm sure other buyers are going to have the same problem. Incidentally, the April 2009 issue of Model Railroad News has this loco as the cover review. The accurate detail on this model is impressive.

Bill Nelson

Don't remove the Gears!

don't remove the gears! this is fixable!

If you measure the shaft size, NWSL can probably fix you up with something if you can't find something locally that will work.

Besides the fuel line possibility there is also tubing for aquarium air systems, as well as medical tubing, rubber vacuum tubing (automotive). I have even stripped off insulation from an electric wire for a temporary fix. this is a common problem and there are lots of solutions. with tubing that was real close , but slipped, I have used a dab of Walther's goo.

Let us know when you are sucessful.

Bill Nelson (hiding in the logging and industrial subcatagory)

Sawdust

Hello Steamaholic
Regardless of what fix you use when it envolves tubing make sure your shafts & especially the inside of the tubes are CLEAN. Some tubings have coatings or a film inside & this will cause slippage. Good Luck!

Bill Nelson

a possible cause

You ask why me?

It is possible that some lubricant that was not compatible with the material got on it.

Brass locos are finicky. They are made in small runs. Much of a run might go to collectors, and never see operation.

Back in the dark ages brass had the best details. Those of us that wanted top performance had to tinker with almost everything, especially brass.

In these modern days, we have rtr locomotives that are better detailed than all but the best brass, and run well out of the box.

Now we can do without brass, unless we are looking for that oddball locomotive to which brass is the only option. Back in the days of locomotive kits, we learned to tweek mechanisms, as we built kit locomotives. Now that we aren't doing that anymore we are loosing those skills, but jump in there ad work on the locomotive, cause that is where you Learn, and you will have a lot of satisfaction when you run that locomotive.

Bill Nelson

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Thomas Modeler
Well, Bill, I'm trying to learn those skills. They shouldn't be allowed to die. And as for those collectors who buy stuff and never use it? Who buy toy and never play with them? And who will buy nearly the entire run of something and sell them off at triple or higher price? I don't like that. In fact, might I be permitted to vent my full feelings on the subject?

Sirfoldalot

Thanks, Ed. I do want to keep the model because I used to see them go by my parents house as a kid, and I was fond of them. $700.00 is the least expensive model I have found searching the web. This is a beauty of a model locomotive and very accurate. I also have two other Sunset models that I paid half the price, and they work very well. A friend suggested I use a special metal lined tubing that is used for slot cars. But, it is a bitch to be handling these little, delicate jewels and not bend anything.
announce1All good answers ...
For $700.00 U think they could have put in a "brass universal" complete with grease fittings. :cry:

rk_dave

Had the same problem with the Sunset M-9

This is my first Sunset model. It ran like a champ for a couple of days, then would slow to a stop after moving about 6 feet. Didn't matter which direction or if it was pulling cars or running light. I sent it back for repair, and have received a replacement loco. I haven't had time to run it yet.

Has Sunset acknowledged the problem and come out with a fix? Or are these simply brass display models?

steamaholic

Hello folks. I've been working on my layout and other things, but have not solved the problem with the tube connector on the Mogul. As I said, the shafts are each 1/8" long on the motor and the gear box, and uses a 1/4" tube. Not much room for any sold grip. This is the silliest setup I've seen on any of my locomotives. I can't believe Sunset would allow this to pass. I've replace the tubing 4 times, and have used glue, but nothing will keep it from eventually slipping. I'll call Sunset and ask them if they know if anyone has a solution as of yet. I doubt they will return my money. I bought this model to run, not for display.

Bill Nelson

Call NWSL!!!!!!!!!!

Call the nice folks at Northwest short line, and explain what you got and what is going on. have your shaft sizes ect. on hand. They are under new management, but the new management buys into what has been their mission for years , and that has been to fix problems like this.

NWSL went from being an importer of brass locomotives to being the importer that was most concerned about having great mechanisms, to producing stuff to fix problems with every else's mechanisms. They have been very helpfull to me, and this is the kind of problem that they exist to try to fix.

give them a call. I have lost count of how many of my locomotives run or run better because of NWSL replacement or upgrade parts . It is at least six, and probably more than eight. thier catalouge is dense and undweildly , but call them and talk to them, and if they can't steer you to an existing part, they have been known to accept the enginerring challenge of designing something to fix the problem. Like I said, it is what they do, they are an invaluable resourse for us modelers. It was a blessing that the folks at Oso publishing/ evergreen hill bought the outfit without breaking it up, and are seeking to give us the same kind of service those of us who have used them in the past have come to depend on.

Bill Nelson

steamaholic

good advice

Thanks, Bill. I've been told about NWSL from other modelers, as well. I hate fiddling with this delicate model since I've bent or nearly broken the small parts. I'd prefer working in O gauge, but, like others, I can't afford it nor have the space to operate. But, I'm willing to give it a try. I'd sure like to know what Sunset is thinking about this model. I'm sure they're giving attention to their 3-Rail locos rather than bother with fixing this little 2-6-0. I'll let you know if I find a reliable fix.

I did find pictures in Model Railroading magazine reviewing that engine that show the connection between the motor and gearbox on this engine and my 1st thought was "crud" what was Sunset thinking! there's hardly any space between the shafts for tubing to be able to grip,And forget universals... theres no room for them unless you can move the motor back a ways.
Beautiful engine but frankly after 3 trys I have to recommend your returning it and requesting a full refund......
On checking the Brass Guide there were a number of SP Moguls mabe in brass,maybe you might look for one of those.
Realise this lastess run by Sunset is a beaut' but if it will not run reliable its going to wind up sitting in a display case instead of earning its keep on the layout.

sunsetmodels

Working On a Fix

Dear Sunset Models Mogul Owners:

We are currently working on a fix for our instock as well as our customers models. Once we have this fix we will then gladly exchange or replace customers models that are malfunctioning.

Sorry about this guys, but sometimes the factories slip their crazy ideas into the models before we can stop them. We pride ourselves on customer service, so we will make a fix that solves the problem at our expense.

Respectfully Yours,

Scott Mann - Sunset Models Inc.

steamaholic

I need a fix

Thanks, Scott. That's great news. I really appreciate it. And, I hope you find a reliable fix for this splendid model soon because I'm tired of pulling it around my layout with a string. Heh heh...

-- steamaholic