Suggestons for beginner

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by CharlieB, Jul 28, 2005.

1. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

I'm new to paper modelling. I down loaded some of the plane kits from Fiddlersgreen.net and am having problems with them.

Could someone recommend something for a beginner and a good source for kits. Is it better to buy a kit or download and print your own?

Thanks for your help...Charlie
  2. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Charlie,

welcome to the forum. What types of troubles are ya having? a few things most model designers will tell you are things like "score fold lines before cutting the part out" or "roll" the part (which is to give the paper a rounded shape). Some designers intend for you to cut along the outside edge of the part lines, while others state that the line is to be cut itself (if you follow my meaning). Anyway if you could be abit more specific about your troubles, we'll help ya as best we can.
    Now, as for a good source for kits............... there are many websites that list tons of free models, all of which vary in dufficulty. Below is a few of the sites which have links to the free models or to other sites containing free models.

http://www.freepapertoys.com/pt-planemodel.html - navigate to other model types in the left column.

http://www.peterjvisser.demon.nl/indexe.html - navigate to other model types and links at top of page.

http://www.3dpapermodel.com.tw/ - you dont have to download the chinese font when the pop up box appears on this site, to navigate thru the various models, click topic on left you desire. These are abit harder models than found on other sites.
    I hope this has been of some help to you, but like I said if you could be abit more specific as to what type of troubles you are having, we will be glad to help.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  3. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

planes are tough. those fuselages have funny curves. No need to spend money, the downloads are just as nice. I'd start with a space rocket first,
    no compound curves, just simple cones, cylinders and cubes. Delta & has a nice mercury redstone, that was my first model, and for a nice sized beginner model, try the 1/48 apollow capsule and LES at

http://lhvcc.com/egiftshop

after that try the 1/48 CSM as well. the instructions for the csm are in the
    1/96 version.

the hardest part is just sitting down and cutting. don't worry about it, its just a piece of paper!
  4. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Greg and Leslie:

Thanks for the input.

I guess what I'm looking for is something with better directions. I have dome models before following an exploded view, but sometimes that isn't enough.

Maybe I'll try one fo FG's buildings first.

Charlie
  5. 46rob

46rob Member

I've built quite a few FG models over the years, and they are some of the simplest models to build on the market. Here are some genereal hints--Start your build with the fuselage. Start with the center section and work your way to both ends. Score all those areas indicated (usually with small lines protruding from the part) as a fold. Tabs between sections should not be scored, just gently bent enough to fit into the next piece. Wings:curve the upper surface by pulling it across the edge of the table. Get nice straight trailing edges by letting them dry thoroughly with a ruler and a bit of weight holding it down, over the glue joint.. Use your glue sparingly--a thin coat on both sides, and left to get really tacky acts like contact cement. Only use good, really sharp knife blades to gut out the parts. Download the F-100F in the PARTS BIN on this web page for a nice and easy build.
  6. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Again Charlie,

Well, let me give ya another link real fast, I am currently working on a recolor of this particular model in USAF configuration for the wings of Horus competition. The model comes out very nice as is, the instructions, although in a foreign language are really comprehensive due to the illustrations on the website and on the cover page of the kit itself.
    It is a Cessna 172 skyhawk civilian airplane. You can find the model here:

http://www.tzs.si/revija_tim/1999_2000/Cessna_172/Cessna.htm

then scroll to bottom of page and click "Izdelava" to go to the second page with instructions and the download. The download itself is at the top of the second page in blue titled " Predloga (format PDF - 370 kb) "
    If you would like to see the completed model itself, click the word "profile" here to go to my profile and look for the link to "personal gallery of GEEDUBBYA" on right side of page. Scroll thru the photos and you will see the plane.

If you can build this plane, it is something you will be very proud to have accomplished and very proud to display and tell your friends...."yeah and its made out of paper too".
    Its an aircraft most every person has seen flying over head at some point in their life.

Hope this inspires ya, have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  7. bholderman

bholderman Member

Charlie,

I'm just a few steps in front of you, and I can add that more often than not, poor instructions destroy a nicely designed model. Thus, the struggle is to test build several times until intuition kicks in, a test build normally reveals a solution. In my case that aspect is still a bit frustrating as each model typically is built twice, meaning a model takes twice as long as the more experienced modelers here.

But, you will find a lot of encouragement here. I might suggest a begginers build thread with pics (a struggle in itself) of one of the Fiddler's Green models. Post what you have done and end with the questin, "What am I doing wrong here?" I am sure by the end of the day, the papermasters here will have plenty of feedback towards your solution.

Trial and error is the biggest issue as a begginer, which leads to a lot of frustration, unlike a plastic model. Even the best here were begginers once and even I have managed to work through some diffculties and am pointed in the direction of continuing on. Skim through the build threads (even old ones) and see whats capable just as soon as some obstacles are cleared.

Now if I can just keep my glue from squezzing out and getting all over the model, I'd be fine.

Cheers,
    Brad
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

It's "Did I tell you it's made of paper?"...'

Gil
  9. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

I appreciate all the responses.

Now that you all gave me some really good information, let me ask a question about the card stock. What is a good weight paper to use? I have both 67# and 110# paper.

Greg:

I like the link to the Cessna. I have to load babel fish so I can translate the Polish.

Charlie
  10. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Charlie,

I use INTERNATIONAL PAPER CO. photo paper for my models, they make 3 different categories with two types of paper in each category.

The categories are:

GOOD which includes packages marked "imaging and photo" and "everyday" (matte and soft gloss finishes respectively)

BETTER which includes packages marked "multi-project" and "Premium"
    (Gloss and High Gloss finishes respectively)

BEST which includes packages marked "Proffessional" and "Portrait studio"
    (Brilliant gloss and Brilliant satin/matte finishes respectively)
    These are relitivley inexspensive packages of 25 sheets of 8 ½" X 11" paper, costing about $4.°° to $7.°° per package.
    The thickness of the paper ranges from 7 mil for "good", 8 mil for "better" and 9 mil for "best".
    This is the only paper I have ever used on any of my models, and is readily availible at walmart, K-mart and other stores.
    For more info on their paper you can visit their website at: www.jetprintphoto.com

Hope this helps,

Greg
  11. 46rob

46rob Member

Paper type depends on the model. For average sized models, I use 67# for jets and curvy WW2 birds, and 110# for boxy things, like biplanes or buildings. The smaller the model, the lighter the paper weight. If you're printing your models small--take note that paper has grain, just like wood. You can test this by bending and creasing it in different directions. Most paper's grain runs vertically. FG large sized models use the grain to their advantage. The regular sized models are nothing more than two large sheets shrunk to fit on one page--so the grain is wrong. I recommend that if you're going to do the regular sized models, that you instead reduce the large one to 65% and print it on the paper vertically. Wastes a bit of paper, but you'll get a better model. Keep some regular 24# stock on hand for really small items. Sometimes it's better to print a page several times, in different weights to accomodate all the different parts.
  12. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Slovak to English Conversion

Greg:

On July 28, you posted a link on during a paper Cessna 172. Where did you find a program that converts Slovak or Check(?) to English? Babelfish only does Polish.

Charlie
  13. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Slovak to English Conversion

Greg:

On July 28, you posted a link on during a paper Cessna 172. Where did you find a program that converts Slovak or Check(?) to English? Babelfish only does Polish.

Charlie
  14. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Charlie,

Well, to tell the truth, I used the instructions as is. I dont speak slavic or polish, but the model comes with each part numbered, and there is an instruction page that shows the placement of each numbered part. The body formers are shown in the instructions from the side, part numbers 2 and 3 make the front former between the engine cowling, 4 and 5 make up the former at the center of the body between the windows etc....
    Part numbers 3, 5, 7 and 11 all wrap "around" the other part shown, providing you with a former that you can glue the two body parts to......ie....3 wraps around part 2, the "back half" of that assembly is glued to the main fuselage, while the front half has the engine cowling glued to it.
    Also, there is a photo tutorial on the website which really helps out alot, you can find the photo tutorial at this link: http://www.tzs.si/revija_tim/1999_2000/Cessna_172/izdelava.htm
    I think this helps more than any translation ever would being that translations are usually broken english.

I hope this helps, its really a nice model and not hard to assemble, it makes a good "beginner kit" in that it introduces you to formers in a limited manner.

if you have more questions feel free to hollar at me and I would love to see what you come up with also.

greg aka GW

PS: I am currently working on a USAF redraw of this very model but I cant show it yet , i am considering entering it in the wings of horus competition provided I finish in time.
  15. GEEDUBBYA

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Charlie,

Well, to tell the truth, I used the instructions as is. I dont speak slavic or polish, but the model comes with each part numbered, and there is an instruction page that shows the placement of each numbered part. The body formers are shown in the instructions from the side, part numbers 2 and 3 make the front former between the engine cowling, 4 and 5 make up the former at the center of the body between the windows etc....
    Part numbers 3, 5, 7 and 11 all wrap "around" the other part shown, providing you with a former that you can glue the two body parts to......ie....3 wraps around part 2, the "back half" of that assembly is glued to the main fuselage, while the front half has the engine cowling glued to it.
    Also, there is a photo tutorial on the website which really helps out alot, you can find the photo tutorial at this link: http://www.tzs.si/revija_tim/1999_2000/Cessna_172/izdelava.htm
    I think this helps more than any translation ever would being that translations are usually broken english.

I hope this helps, its really a nice model and not hard to assemble, it makes a good "beginner kit" in that it introduces you to formers in a limited manner.

if you have more questions feel free to hollar at me and I would love to see what you come up with also.

greg aka GW

PS: I am currently working on a USAF redraw of this very model but I cant show it yet , i am considering entering it in the wings of horus competition provided I finish in time.