suggestions for system for both N and G?

EdStauff

I model in both N and G gauges, and now that my two boys are getting old enough to "play trains" with me, having independent control of multiple locos would greatly increase our "play value".

I'd like to invest in a DCC system that will serve both gauges -- but not simultaneously; we use G in the summer and N in the winter. ( I realize that the decoders will have to be different, and will be permanently installed in the locos.) I have no prior experience with DCC, but I've been reading FAQ's and primers and am familiar with the concepts. There seems to be an awful lot of choices out there, so I'm looking for recommendations for starter systems and/or components that I can use with either scale.

Here are my requirements:

1. Suitable for use with N or G gauges.
2. Up to 3 or 4 locos in G gauge; up to 5 or 6 locos in N gauge.
3. Up to 4 throttles.
4. Option for wireless throttles in the future.
5. Don't need most advanced features such as programming, signalling, etc.
6. Support for reversing loops.
7. Minimize cost! I absolutely can't afford to pay for features I don't need.

I already have a nice P.H. 10-amp power pack for my G trains.

Thanks for the help!

-- Ed

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Ed,

Sorry the reply is a little late (and probably not that helpful :rolleyes: ), but Welcome to The Gauge!!

I am not sure that there is a pack that is able to do what you want. I recall that MRC made a "convertable" power pack - you threw a switch to boost power from Nscale to large scale ranges. I don't know if they're available any more, and if there is a walk around function available.

You might try Google for "MRC" or "Model Rectifier Corporation".

EDIT - Ooops - you're looking for DCC. In that case it might be worthwhile to make a call/email to Tony's Train Exchange, or Litchfield Station, and explain what you want to do.

Andrew

Gary Pfeil

I hadn't seen this post till Andrew replied. I have a Digitrax Chief, and it has a three position switch to allow different track voltages, they are labelled N, HO, and O. I do not know off the top of my head what the respective voltages are. My chief is only the 5 amp model, there is an 8 amp model available. I have a small garden railroad and have been thinking of using my Chief to run it, installing on/off switched in the leads to the two railroads so only one is on, and switching the track voltage to suit. I would need to run the loconet and track bus out of the basement and to the garage, which so far has stopped me. Also the fact that I'm tired of cleaning the rails of the garden railroad and am thinking I should go battery/radio control. So, the reality for me is I've done nothing! I'm pretty sure the O scale voltage is high enough to run the G "scale" stuff, I've been running my chepo Bachmann 4-6-0 with an HO pack!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Gary's suggestion is another approach. Get a decent system for the indoor stuff, and switch the outdoor to R/C with batteries on board.

If you like this idea, take a look at the local garden group - www.ovgrs.org . Lots of good info there about changing to onboard batteries. Paul (webmaster) is a great guy, and will answer any questions you might have.

Andrew

Just a thought - if you combined the two scales, then the N trackwork could act as a really large Garden Railway for the G people living in your G layout.....