Styrene Question

cellis242001

Nov 27, 2006
Hello everyone. Well, I've been working a little on my first scratchbuild (grain elevator in N scale). I would like to use corrugated metal for the roof, but this leads me into a world i have not delved into yet...that's right styrene. Can anyone tell me what size styrene corrugated metal will look proportionate and will work for n scale roofs, and buildings in general? I know evergreen has them all listed neatly but I'm new at this and i can't afford to order a bunch of different sizes until I get it right. Any help would be appreciated.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
In N scale, you might be better to go for what "looks right" rather than what's "to scale". It's also useful to keep in mind that not all corrugated metal has the same-size corrugations. Often, commercial and industrial uses require larger and/or heavier sheets, and the appearance can vary greatly. If you use an N scale version of what most people think of as corrugated siding, the corrugations will be so small as to almost disappear. The colours that you choose when painting and weathering can also emphasize or hide the corrugations, too.

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think I would try to find actual scale corrugated metal. I model in ho and Suydam and I think Campbell make corrugated foil, I don't know if anyone makes it for n scale. The problem with styrene corrugated metal is that the styrene will be way too thick to look realistic, and inevitably, you will have edges of the "metal" visible somewhere on the model. Of course, if you get Evergreen styrene in corrugated metal for n scale, you could lay aluminum foil over it, and work it into the grooves with a stylus to make your own foil corrugated siding.

cellis242001

Nov 27, 2006
Thanks for the replys Doc, Russ. Yeah I am noticing any of the pre-made products have too much thickness on the edges as mentioned. I ordered a piece of corrugated siding from Northeastern but it is around an 1/8 of an inch thick. If I was hard up I guess we could pretend that they put about 8 layers of plywood on the roof before sheeting it up huh?:D I love N scale, but sometimes it seems a little to small when it comes to scratchbuilding. I found some good threads on the site about using computer ribbon and aluminum foil so I think I may try that route later. Thanks for the replys guys, hopefully once I get the project going I can send some pics.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Here's a few links for you on the aluminum foil "corrugated roofing":

N scale Coal Shed

HO scale Coal Shed

The Nscale stuff is very oversize, but 1) doesn't really look it, and 2) you probably can find some protoype metal roofing with similar spacing if you look long enough ;). ATA100 cable (I think that's right) apparently has finer wires, and might be more suitable for Nscale.

Andrew

ejen34

Aug 6, 2006
Brewer, ME
I have an N Scale layout however I still use Campball corrugated roofing on 2 of my projects. That is one of my fudge factor type things. In fact I made my grain silo 8 inches tall which likewise is out of N scale. Fudge factor I call it :grin:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Actually, I wouldn't worry too much about the thickness of the wood or styrene products, as many buildings have facia covering the ends of the rafters, and soffit on the underside of the overhang. Simply paint the edges and underside to match the colour of either the building walls or the trim.
In this photo, the roof is .060" styrene sheet, with .005" "tarpaper" on top. The edges of the .060" sub-roof are painted to match the colour of the building's walls.

100_5777.jpg

On this brick building, the edges and underside of the roof are painted to match the trim on the rest of the building. Even the covered stockpen, which is roofed with Campbell's corrugated siding, has a sub-roof of .060" styrene, with its edges painted to look like facia trim.

100_5744.jpg

Wayne

cellis242001

Nov 27, 2006
Wow, I love the stockpen and yard that you have there Wayne, it looks great. Thanks for the advice.

richard cormier

Oct 7, 2006
Ct
Campbell's corrugated material comes to mind, especially for roofs. One added advantage is that of weathering. IN the past, I have taken roofing, cut it to sheet size (87:1), and immersed it in ferrichloride (etchant available through Radio Shack, et al) which isnormally used to etch printed circuit boards. doing a 4 second immersion in warmed (be careful of fumes) etchant, I take the material out, and immerse it in cold water, stopping the etching process. The reult: a piece of corroded siding. It is a great looking weathered process.

RIch