Styrafoam help

spookman

Apr 22, 2006
henryslureworld.com
What styrofoam is best for layouts? I am thinking of raising part of my layout so I can have a couple tressels and some better scenery. Do I use just plain styrafoam or the kind with plastic impregnated into it?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
spookman said:
What styrofoam is best for layouts? I am thinking of raising part of my layout so I can have a couple tressels and some better scenery. Do I use just plain styrafoam or the kind with plastic impregnated into it?
Best bet is to use the "extruded" stuff, not the kind made from expanded beads. That's messy and doesn't shape well. The extruded foam is either pink or blue and it's been available at my local Home Depot and Loews for around $8 for a 2' x 8' x 1" sheet. It's stronger and cuts cleaner than the white stuff.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
spookman said:
What is the best way to cut it?
Some people use a styrofoam, or hot wire knife others have used an electric knife. Me, I use everything from a large kitchen knife to a razor saw to a utility knife. The razor saw works great if you're trying to shape it for making hills. I save the cutoff pieces and use them for building hills and tunnels.

What about glue, you ask? Well, again anything that's non-solvent like Liquid Nails or even Elmer's white glue works fine.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Spookman: Cutting styrofoam is an interesting experience. If you use sawing techniques, the "sawdust" is some of the messiest product you can get, and the "static cling" makes cleanup difficult. I like to use a sharp knife for major cuts -- an Xacto or one with a long blade. It takes a long blade to get through the 2" foam. The deeper cuts tend to come out off-vertical. You can make a shallow cut and snap. I like the hot wire for fine finishing shaping but watch out for the fumes.