Stupid Criminals

Woodie

nicked train.....

Silly idiot. SHould have had some brains, and nicked the train destined for Fort Knox!;)

kf4jqd

Moron!

Some people must have been born without a brain. Also shows how poor the US education system is!

Andy

PS
I always like a good laugh!:D

roryglasgow

Eduwhat?

Seriously, I agree with that statement! I teach computer classes at a private Christian school that uses the Classical method (grammar, logic and rhetoric). It's amazing how different their approach to education is than that used by the public school system. They actually make those kids think!

And to keep this post train-related... The first week of school the second grade class watched a video in the computer lab about train safety. The public school system would probably say, "it's not good to walk on the train tracks, but if you really want to we don't have the right to tell you not to, Johnny!" They'd probably be too afraid of damaging their self-esteem. I personally worry about them damaging their...well...THEMSELVES!!!

-Rory

Drew1125

Wow!
You know, I grew up right beside the L&N RR, & while we probably did some things in younger days that weren't that smart, (OK, Rory, I am a product of public education) the idea of climbing into a locomotive & STEALING IT??!! Let me put it this way - If I had ever attempted anything approaching that degree of stupidity, my dad would've made sure I never left the house again under my own power!

roryglasgow

I'm a produck of publik edukashun, two, Charlie. And I wood hav sufferd the same fate frum my dad if'n I'd dun sumthin' like that!

People forget that THEY are responsible for their children's education, not the schools!

On a lighter note... My house wasn't near a railroad, but my elementary school was right next to the Southern Pacific line that headed northeast out of Houston, TX. I guess it's all U.P. now. We'd all wave to the engineer when the trains would pass, and we all thought that they were blowing their horns for us...in reality there was a crossing right nearby! :)

I think I've told this story on here before, but I used to have dreams about there being a railroad out in the woods behind the house where I grew up (in Porter, TX). I was exploring around on http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/default.asp recently and found an old RR grade in the woods! Further investigation revealed that it likely belonged to the Bender Lumber Company out of Humble (pronounced "umble"). I saw a few photos of Bender's locomotives, too. One appeared to be a three-truck Shay. Pretty cool!

Here's the RR grade I was talking about:

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?S=12&T=2&X=346&Y=4169&Z=15&W=2

Move up one grid space from that location (if you are viewing it in the Large mode) and you will see two parallel roads running north/south. I lived about two-thirds of the way down the right-hand road on the right-hand side. I used to walk down to the San Jacinto River with my friends all the time. We walked right over that old grade and didn't even realized it!

-Rory

Drew1125

That's pretty cool Rory!
You know, when we modelers discover something like that...especially something that closely linked to your own personal history... it really get the ol' wheels turnin' don't it?
Do I see a glimpse of a Bender Lumber Co. layout in your future?
BTW - I hear Bachman makes a nice 3-truck Shay. ;)

roryglasgow

As a matter of fact, yep! Well, this is a long way off, because I don't have the space and money right now (and my current efforts are concentrated on my little N-scale layout), but I have a freelance plan that includes a little portion of East Texas in it...and a logging railroad! :)

My original layout plan, before I realized the harsh realities of money, space and the limited availability of N-scale equipment, was to build a railroad that ran from an East Texas river to Central Texas. Anyway...the exact plan will depend on where I can put it!

-Rory

Partsman

As a youngster I lived in a small town in Southwestern Ontario in the late 40's and early 50's. We had three main lines running through town, NY Central, C&O and Canadian Pacific. There were three level crossings within earshot of those lovely steam whistles. I can hear them yet in memory. We often sat within 50 feet of the track or less when those wonderful black locos were still in use and I can remember the first diesel I ever saw. At that time, I thought the locomotive world would never hold my interest again.:(

The tracks were a kid magnet back then when life moved more slowly and rules were fewer. I don't remember anyone ever being hurt, so I guess we were just lucky. We never would have had the chance to steal a locomotive because the trains rarely stopped except to let off small town freight.:)

Criminal Stupidity

An unemployed Miner in our town ,planted a bomb in a shopping Mall near my house and then phoned the owners of the Mall demanding payment for its location.....From his Cell Phone. Needless to say the Police had him in minutes. the Army Bomb disposal was called in to remove it and found that it was big enough to have fattened serveral blocks of house including mine ,boy was I glad of his stupidity