Studnia Kazimierska

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by eatcrow2, Feb 16, 2007.

1. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Decided to take a break from ship building, and start on this model that I've had for awhile.. A 1/25 scale Historical Polish Well located in the village of Kazimierz. A Renova model designed by Marcin Kudelski. Beautiful graphics, and great step by step diagrams for each stage of the build. Also comes with a nice full page watercolor of the cover picture suitable for framing.

Here's pictures of the cover, plus a side view of the innards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have glued up the main base on some 1.5 mm stock.
    [​IMG]
  2. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

The next step is the secondary base the well sits on.. I didn't like the look of the grate with just the black color for the inside, So I cut out the squares.. On the main base below where the grate sits, I've painted black and covered with a piece of clear acetate. Hard to tell in the photos, but when you look down between the openings you get a nice reflection off the acetate. Looks like water to me..;-)

Grate before cutting..
    [​IMG]

After..
    [​IMG]

Clear acetate glued over the black..
    [​IMG]

Showing the back of the base where I used bass wood and scrape card to add strength to the bottom..
    [​IMG]

Finished base...
    [​IMG]
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Finally!
    It's been a while since there was an actual build thread in the architectural section.
    I like your idea for a better drain, nice little kit bash there, Peter!

I never did buy this one because it didn't look like much but if I've learned one thing about commercial kits it's don't judge a model by it's cover.
    Heck, sometimes the color of the model is nothing like what is shown on the cover.
    Anyway, I'm glad you chose this one as I have been wondering what it really looks like for quite some time now.
    I'll be following this build closely and as always, waiting for more updates.:twisted:

Russell
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Feeling like different kind of winds.

Keep it coming!
  5. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

well sides

Thanks Russell ... Yes the coloring on this is like nothing on the cover..;-) The graphics and build diagrams are first class.. I think this was released as a limited addition??

Next up was building the body of the well.. As I wanted to fill the void with silica sand for weight and bulk, I beefed up the parts .. Top & bottom of 1mm, and the side piece on scrap card stock. Adjusted my formers to allow for the extra thickness.. Once the sand was added, I just glued the center cutout back in place..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Looking good!...how come I'm thirsty?
  7. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

troughs/scuppers

Added the troughs/scuppers (not sure what to call these). Built, then shaded/weathered them with pastel chalks. The metal strap didn't look right without rivets or bolts, so I added a couple using small drops of glue. Shading when dry.

Parts..
    [​IMG]

Finished and weathered..
    [​IMG]

Showing rivet detail..
    [​IMG]

Glued onto the well..
    [​IMG]
  8. thewoodengraver

Excellent detailing Peter! It shore enough looks real!
  9. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Thanks.. I think half the fun in modeling, is adding your own little touches...

Next set of photos show the covering for the well.. I thought there was not enough contrast between the slats, so I scored between them.. weathered with different shades of pastels.. light spray of "Future" to seal the colors. Excellent fit so far of all the parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

cupola

Added the cupola to the top of the roof, and then glued the well to it's base..

cupola parts..
    [​IMG]

attached to the roof and shaded/weathered with pastels..
    [​IMG]

well glued to the base...
    [​IMG]
  11. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I must say that your added touches to the model make it look very good. Who would think that such a simple looking design could turn out so well. Again, I show pictures of this to people and they find it hard to believe that it is basically a model made of paper. Well done!:yep:
  12. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Doug... Thanks for the nice comments.
    Next up was building the smaller pump. After assembly, it was painted flat black, and then when dry, weathered and
    shaded till I had what I thought was a metal like appearance.

After painting and weathering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Added to the well..
    [​IMG]
  13. thewoodengraver

Metal like appearance? It looks like you USED real metal!
    C'mon Peter, you're making some of us look bad...keep it up!
  14. Clashster

Clashster Member

Great job, Peter! Now if you can just get some water flowing... :grin:

Chris
  15. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Another superb model of an unusual subject, but then again I would not expect anything else from the “Crow”

Now back to work on the “Nina”

Jim
  16. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Oop’s I just realized that you have to build the well cover. In that case I’ll wait for the “Nina”

Jim
  17. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

large pump

Thanks Chris & Jim.. Jim always good to hear from you.

Next up was adding the large pump. Photos show the different steps I took to get a finish piece.. Also added a little bit of "green" around the bottom of the well. Never been around anything that was putting out water that didn't have a little green coming out some crack somewhere..;-)

Making the parts..
    [​IMG]

Painted black.. no weathering.
    [​IMG]

Assembled with weathering & shading..
    [​IMG]

Installed in the well..
    [​IMG]
  18. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Hi Peter,

Marvelous work as always. I'm curious...what is the purpose behind the two cords tied around the large pump spout? I'm sure there is a logical reason for it, just can't think of what it is at the moment.

I remember some absolutely exquisite fish you did on the old Smartgroups list. Do you remember what site you got them from?

Regards,

Elliott
  19. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Hello Elliott..

The cords were my experiment on making the two metal rings that go around the spigot. Coated with glue and painted and shaded they look ok (I think <G>). Was trying something else other than wire..

I think you might mean these fish here..
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2426538&uid=134202&members=1

Was so long ago, that I'm clueless (in more ways than one) as to where I got them?? Maybe someone else will remember..
  20. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

post & beams

Not much in the way of progress at the moment.. Started putting together the post and beams that will hold up the roof...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]