Stuck at a crossing...

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
waiting for a train to pass. As a kid, it was fun to stand in the back seat of my Dad's car when we had to stop for a railroad crossing, and watch freight cars from all over North America roll through my little corner of the world. Nowadays, the freight cars come from the same places, but most of the familiar (and exotic) roadnames have been replaced by the reporting marks of a few mega-roads. This train is made up of cars mostly from Canada and the northeastern U.S., but it provides a glimpse of what once was. As viewed from seemingly the edge of the world.
The origin of each model is noted: all have been modified with added details and custom paint and lettering.

GVC 2-8-0 - Bachmann Spectrum
100_5489.JPG

B&A boxcar - Train Miniature
100_5490.JPG

CNR rebuilt USRA single sheathed boxcar with grain doors - Tichy
100_5491.JPG

CNR altered height boxcar - Athearn
100_5492.JPG

MC door-and-a-half automobile boxcar - Train Miniature
100_5493.JPG

PMcK&Y boxcar - Train Miniature
100_5494.JPG

CASO boxcar - Train Miniature
100_5495.JPG

CCC&StL "Big Four" doubledoor boxcar - Train Miniature
100_5496.JPG

Montreal & Atlantic (CPR) 36' Fowler Patent boxcar - Proto1000
100_5497.JPG

CNR 8 hatch overhead bunker refrigerator car - Athearn
100_5498.JPG

GTW door-and-a half automobile boxcar - Accurail
100_5499.JPG

GILX anhydrous flux tank car - Athearn
100_5500.JPG

GILX fluxene peroxide tank car - Athearn
100_5501.JPG

PRR X-29 boxcar - Train Miniature
100_5502.JPG

PRR X-29 boxcar - Red Caboose
100_5503.JPG

PRR X-28 doubledoor automobile boxcar - Train Miniature
100_5504.JPG

Elora Gorge & Eastern 36' ice service reefers - Lifelike (Proto-no-thousand)
100_5505.JPG

100_5506.JPG

TH&B USRA doublesheathed boxcar - Train Miniature
100_5507.JPG

TH&B two-bay "U" channel hopper - Stewart
100_5508.JPG

CNR rebuilt USRA singlesheathed boxcar - Tichy
100_5509.JPG

GVC bay window caboose - Athearn
EG&E 45 ton scale test car - scratchbuilt on an MDC passenger car truck
100_5510.JPG

Wayne

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Nice work Wayne, brought back my memories as well.
I still do that. Now however, I can stand on my front porch and watch. The CN mainline from Toronto to North Bay and beyond is about 100 yards west of me, my street ends at the mainline and the cross street there leads right into Huntsville's yard.

Aug 28, 2005
Northwest Indiana
Some rail facilities, repair shops, yards and etc have a set of scales to weigh railroad equipment loaded or empty. They need a way to calibrate and periodically test these scales, therefore the scale test weight car. There is always some sort of small shack or building next to the scales to house the equipment and protect it from the weather, which would make a nice model scene. I've got a Walther's scale test car but have yet to build the setting for the scales. I don't know if it's still available or not. I'm sure someone out there knows. Joe :wave:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I just bought a Kalmach book "Freight Yards" that has a chaper on the operation of a yard scale. I bought the book in hopes of getting some ideas about how to detail a yard, but basically the book is all about how to operate a yard.:eek:ops:

BTW Wayne, that is a cool way of presenting your nicely weathered rolling stock. :thumb: :thumb: I'm glad that driver in that old Packard decided to pull forward, he was kinda in a precarious position there.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
otis must be drooling

hi doc---good to see you back on track---keep otis out of the train room---with his appetite for delectible items,he'll be taking a bite out of these beauties---nutbar

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks to everyone for the kind responses. N Gauger and straight-track are both correct about the scale test car being used to calibrate weigh scales. I built 4 of them many years ago, using MDC passenger car trucks as the running gear, with scratchbuilt styrene bodies and wire details. They weigh only about 1 1/2 oz. each, but track well. Like the prototype, they must move at the very end of a train, and even during switching, must be moved by only one coupler: i.e. loco or other cars coupled to only one end, with nothing on the coupler at the other end. I'm not sure, but I recall reading something about this being to prevent shifting of the ballast inside the car. If anybody else can elaborate on this, please do so.
Will, as a kid, I lived right across the street from the TH&B's tracks near the Hamilton station. Don't remember too many specific instances, as it was quite a few years ago, although I do recall running out to the front veranda to see my first diesel, a GP-7. To me, it appeared to be running backwards, with the long hood to the rear. I later learned that the GP-7s were short hood to the front, while their GP-9s ran long hood forward. When you're accustomed to seeing steam engines, including NYC and CPR Hudsons, along with those of the TH&B itself, you think every loco should have its cab to the rear.

Wayne

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Wayne, I really like the angle that you are using in those pictures. It really shows off the underbody details on your nice rolling stock, not to mention that is pretty much how it looks sitting in a car at a road crossing-looking under the cars as opposed to over them. Great job. Stuart.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I hope everyone will bear with me on my bumping up this thread, as it's in celebration of finally updating all of my threads with pictures linked directly from the Gallery. The pictures are slightly larger in the threads than previously, so if you're on dial-up, it might be better to check them out as thumbnails in the Gallery. Links to my other updated threads are all posted in the thread "An update, so as to not overwhelm this page...". Thanks to all who take the time to check this out, and my apologies to those who've already seen enough of my stuff.

Wayne