stub vs double ended yard

• stub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • double ended

• other

• Total voters
which one is better? which one do you have and like more?

which one is better for breaking down cars and operations?

can you post pictures of your yard also?

thank you,

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hello,
Haven't seen you in a while 13Mtrainer, welcome back.

I'm guessing you'll hear that double ended yards will give you the greatest flexibility and most operational possibilities but they also take up lots of space with ladders of turnouts at each end.

Are you working on a track plan?
Regards,
Ralph

nkp174

I prefer both. I like to have a portion that is double ended, and then a portion that is stub. It's a compromosie between capacity and flexibility.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I prefer the double ended one's but Ralph brings up a good point, they do take up ALOT more space than stubs.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
:) i prefer stub ended with my smaller layouts since it takes up a lot less space but in a large layout i like double ended sinci it is a whole lot easier and more prototypical in making a train

thanks to the reply's guys

Ralph i alread have a track plan but i am building an extention for a yard. for more opperations. i do like the idea of having them both.that might be a neat idea to try.

thanks again,
13Mt

NYNH&H

Having both is a good compromise. I have a stub yard, as it tripled the capacity of a double-ended at about half the price (most of the cost of a yard is in the turnouts). Although not prototypical, it is fun to operate, with a passing siding for the loco to run around cars, as it is more complicated. This is especially true on a small layout, where operational space is limited.

iis612

If you were to use Google Earth and look for McGrew yard in Flint, MI you will see an interesting mix of both. It would also make for some good prototype modeling.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Here's a neat option on a layout I once visited...

http://www.ovar.ca/Mitchell/Staging_Switch-2.jpg

It is hidden in a staging yard, but could be used at a hidden end of an "operational" yard I guess. I'd have to think more about that... ;)

An interesting enhancement for steam-era operators would be to add a turntable to the track on the sector plate portion.

Andrew

NYNH&H

yeah, those are interesting, but not for a sciencked yard, unless it was a turntable, which could be for a loco to get around a train on another track. That would require some pretty precise engineering to get it to work reliably.

Chessie System

Personaly it comes down to what kind of space you have to work with. I personaly will have a double ended yard setup. This is only because both ends will have a "Main operation" I will then have them both come out to a main rail that both can run on.

RioGrande

13Mtrainer said:
which one is better? which one do you have and like more?

which one is better for breaking down cars and operations?

can you post pictures of your yard also?

thank you,

No brainer. Double ended yard for sure, as space allows. My last two layouts had double ended yards with some stub end tracks in the middle. Why not have your cake:thumb: and eat it too!

YmeBP

I built a double ended yard, but am having some problems conceptualizing how i will run the train in it. The yard does not have any crossovers between the end turnouts. Could someone post a picture of their double ended yard?

No brainer. Double ended yard for sure, as space allows. My last two layouts had double ended yards with some stub end tracks in the middle. Why not have your cake
thumbsup.gif
and eat it too!
I'm w/ You :) i plan to have both in this layout.
IMG_0014.JPG

In my layout, I will use both... The stub yard is for making up trains and loading containers and trailers in the intermodal facility. A train can then go on a yard line which can access the main lines but is compleatly seperate, and compleatly connect the train there and set it out for mainline engines to get. An incoming train can also do the same, and the switchers can break that down, take the seperate peices to the stub, and then mix them around for unloading in the intermodal yard. To me atleast, it seems very prototypical and I really can't wait until I'm done to start railroading!!! A diagram of my layout is below and will show you what I'm talking about. The yards are on either side connected by a small track above the blue box. I know its not to scale, but it all works. I've drawn it to scale on my layout and everything i want fits.

YmeBP

Wildcatfootball said:
In my layout, I will use both... The stub yard is for making up trains and loading containers and trailers in the intermodal facility. A train can then go on a yard line which can access the main lines but is compleatly seperate, and compleatly connect the train there and set it out for mainline engines to get. An incoming train can also do the same, and the switchers can break that down, take the seperate peices to the stub, and then mix them around for unloading in the intermodal yard. To me atleast, it seems very prototypical and I really can't wait until I'm done to start railroading!!! A diagram of my layout is below and will show you what I'm talking about. The yards are on either side connected by a small track above the blue box. I know its not to scale, but it all works. I've drawn it to scale on my layout and everything i want fits.

Happens to me sometimes :), but your pic didn't make in w/ the post.