Streets, curbs and sidewalks....

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hi Folks! Going along with Aartwmich's recent threads (re: bridges and rockwork pics), I'de like to check out pics you all may have on your streets, curbs and sidewalks and with a brief "how-to"...
I'm beginning planning on this aspect for my layout and prior attempts I have done using hydrocal have come out "OK" but not great... Thanks in advance!:)

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Matt, for my concrete streets I use foam core, thin as you can buy, then put in lines, gently with exact knife, and cracks, then paint with concrete color paint. After dry find a dusty place get lots of dust on your finger and rub it on the concrete and the fine dust will fill in the marks made by the knife. Then add evergreen sidewalks where required. Paint them a little lighter than main roadway. Add marks tire marks etc to main road and added details to side walk. For gravel roads I lay the foamcore, again using very thin, or thin cardboard, then blue, a wider piece than the foam core board, fine sandpaper. Make sure that the sandpaper is wider than the road so you can glue it down to the main table area to give you the gravel edge appearance. With this edge, after glue dries you can push the foam core down with your fingers to put in contours, then lightly drybrush a light brown or beige, I prefer beige paint then sprinkle fine sand on top, very sparing ly, then detail with chalks. For ashpault roads I again use foam core, spakle edges to give contour and you can also use finger to push in depressions etc. Cut in crack lines with knife and paint with your preferance of paint. Fill in crack lines with a mixture of white glue and black paint, wait unitl all is dry then use dry brushing and chalks to add texture and marks. Ron..

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Ron--Where can I find very thin foam core? I want to experiment a bit on some scrap plywood...Thanks!:) :) Also; what's a good adhesive to attach foamcore to plywood?

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Matt, Also check out some of George Sellios' techniques that he uses on the Franklin and Manchester....I seem to recall that he uses some of that thin grey cardboard (shirt cardboard) to make the streets and covers it with Druhams Water Putty....They are extremly realistic looking.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Matt, I would suggest looking in a crafts or arts supply store, a store that mounts and frames pictures will have some as this is what they mount pictures on. I would spend a while on the phone to save gas money running all around. I use white glue and place a weight, book or piece of metal to hold it flat until it dryes. Vic also has a good idea, I would try several things and see what works for you and what you like best. Let us know how it goes. Ron..

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Gosh Lynn....I dunno....Seems that I recall that Sellios did an article on concrete streets and roads in MR..... You might try the index at www.trains.com

Wish I could help more but my "fergitter" seems to be working too good:D :D

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Good Idea Matt ;) I was looking back in december for the same thing and had a hard time. I was researching for an O gauge road we built for a coworker. The truck was kitbuilt by my cubemate.

Here's what I came up with..the roadway is made form different sized ballast mixed with white glue, I used walnut mini lumber stained with black watercolor for between the tracks. This sits on an xmas layout. I may have other stuff I saved from my research, I will look for it and post it here.

Attachments

• lt road truck vsm.jpg
    lt road truck vsm.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 378

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Matt!
I've been modeling in N scale, so foam core, & some other types of cardboard that work well in HO, are a little too thick looking in the smaller scale.

In this little scene, I made the street from a piece of thin cardboard that I cut out from an empty structure kit box. I painted it with some dark gray craft paint, & then weathered it with various brown & white washes of thinned Polly Scale paints.

The sidewalk/curb is a single piece of matting board (available at craft stores, & anyplace that does picture framing) that also serves as the base for the structure...I used the structure itself as a template. Remember that your sidewalks need to be on top of the street, & the structures need to be based, or shimmed in such a way, that they are on top of the sidewalks.
The sidewalk here is painted Polly Scale Concrete

Attachments

• errol's stt.jpg
    errol's stt.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 372

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
I stopped at a local craft store this evening and bought a piece of foam core board to give it an experiment as Ron suggested. It seems to only come in one thickness though, (about 1/8") I'll see how it turns out though it may be a little too thick for HO.. It may be fine as terrain might be able to be built up and around it convincingly.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
OK...foam core works really well! Just had to figure out how to cut it! Scissors just bent it...a utility knife shredded it... but the ole exacto knife cut very smoothly with no ragged edges! Now the roads are being placed and glued then comes the fun part of lines, cracks and paint. I saw in my LHS a pack of paper manhole covers. Need to get a pack or two....

Thanks for all the ideas! Farmer Ron...Thank You!!

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
I didn't realize WS used foam core in their set...I contemplated buying it at one point but decided I could probably get the same results from "scratch" and acrylic paints...I still use the "ole-exacto" but a fresh blade IS a must!!!

Aartwmich...sorry I'm still good camera-less...........everytime I contemplate about buying a new camera I think about how I can use that money on scenery materials, rolling stock, a new engine and on and on and on:rolleyes:

Oh, well. (one of these days;) )

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Matt: WS doesn't use foam core in their road set. They do use something like the strip foam for door/window insulation. [Sorry if I butted two thoughts together like that.]
I made some temporary roads out of the WS roadbed; gives an idea of what's to come, and I still don't know where they're going.