Streetcars and Railroads

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
You didn't...

...tell us what you thought Tom!

I grew up in Manayunk and remember distinctly the trundle of PCC trolleys in the streets downtown and waiting for them to pass as we headed over to Strawbridges'. I see the electric buses in the northeast.

What do you think about streetcars tangling with rail traffic.

By the way, the guys wanna know- since you mentioned "her" car- is she a babe or a trainwreck in the making???

Mark

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Mark, you asked for it.:D

My thoughts on streetcars tangling with rail is would prefer not to happen. I do realize that is some cases because of circumstances a grade separation cannot be constructed. In those cases there are measures that can be taken to ensure safety like stopping the trolley before it proceeds across the railroad as the Route 10 does.

Do you remember the Penn’s Landing trolley? It actually used the same tracks as Conrail along Delaware Avenue (oops) Columbus Boulevard. The trolley which was a tourist attraction ran during the day and the freight trains ran at night.

I don’t like streetcars sharing the roadway with vehicular traffic. The streetcars can delay vehicular traffic and vise versa. I can remember one morning riding the Route 10 having to wait 30 minutes for a delivery truck to move off the tracks. Also I hate driving on State Street in Media when a trolley is coming. One of these days I am going to lose a side mirror. Of course on the other hand having the streetcars in the street adds to a certain element of charm and tourist attractablity. When I was attending Temple I meet two men from Germany who were riding the Route 23 trolley because it was the longest trolley line in the world at that time.

When I was growing up my mom used to take me on the Route 74 bus on Chester Pike to Sharon Hill. There we would board the Sharon Hill trolley for the trip to 69th Street Terminal and a day of shopping. That was back when Red Arrow was running the Brill Liners.

Mark do think they will ever get the Route 15 Trolley running again?

As far as the Mayor of Darby goes, major train wreck and mean as a snake from reading the newspaper articles about her.

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
I would say build a tunnel but since this is New Orleans we are talking about, this now becomes a much harder situation to solve. What if they did the opposite & built a viaduct instead?

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Streetcars were generally 5 foot gauge. Standard trackage is 4ft 8 & some odd inches. Doubt that there's anyone left on the railroads that knows how to build a dual gauge crossing. Guess us modelers have got "one up" on them:D :D We can just go buy one:D :D

canal st line 1880's

canal and st charles streets the converging point of many lines at the time. note the small turntable located in front of the small ticket hut, the track looping around the statue of henry clay (removed about 1900). The present st charles line still makes its one block run on canal in front of the building marked H.B. Stevens, before heading back uptown.

Attachments

• canalturntable1889.jpg
    canalturntable1889.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 33
here is a line up of various cars along willow st on the tracks leading to the carbarn. Foreground is a canal car, obvious in this view are the fake clerestory windows that hide the a/c equipment on the roof, next is a riverfront car followed by 3 green st charles ave cars. orginal 1923 design has no heating much less a/c. What a great place that little gray house would be to live in for a rail fan or any house facing the car barn.

Attachments

• willowst.jpg
    willowst.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 28