Strange request

fsm1000

As some of you may or may not know, I am making tutorials on my website.
What my request is is this. If anyone has an old cam corder they don't want, I would appreciate it so I can make videos of what I am doing and post them for others.
It can even be as old as one of those old VHS camcorder. I am not picky and I am not making TV quality videos, just so long at it is NTCS [that's north american] and not PAL [that's european format], also that it works. I only want to show how to do things easier for beginners and old timers alike.
I have no intention of charging for these either.

Anyhow, if you can help email me at
mystuff1000@hotmail.com
Thanks for your time. :)

hooknlad

I picked up a great mp4 video recorder , mp3player, web cam, still digital cam ( all in one ), for $50 at Walgreens - i suggest you invest in one - they are great !!!

fsm1000

Ok thanks anyhow guys. Was hoping for an old free one. I know about pawn shops. I don't trust them personally, also here most of them are in the worst crime areas. Thanks anyhow.

hooknlad

I do however have an entire set of encyclopedia brittancas , dictionaries, internet connection etc for free. Once i got married, i didnt need them anymore - Wife knows everything!!! - lol

fsm1000

Actually where I live there is a site called freecycle where people give things away for free all the time. I just thought that you guys being model railroaders you might be interested in video tutorials is all. But from the sarcastic responses I see I have made a mistake there thinking anyone gave a dang.
No problem.
I will try elsewhere.

hooknlad

I believe if you research the internet, they have freecycle there as well. Perhaps if there was a video site like The Gauge, only for cameras, they could help ya out.

GearDrivenSteam

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I was dead serious. You come on here asking for a handout and turn it around like it's for OUR benefit? Then, act like you're all offended at the response you get? Where do you get off? Ever heard of Wal Mart?

hooknlad

announce1 I guess Walmart might still be expensive - I have a salvation Army down the street from me - i could pick ya one up and overnite it to ya.. :thumb:

cidchase

Ya know, men, that there's every possibility that Stephen's request was sincere and well-intended, even if a little naive
in the internet environment.:eek:ops: :eek:ops: If you take the trouble to look, you will see that he does post modeling resources
on his website. announce1
I admit that I thought the "scak of money" crack as well as the rest of 'em pretty funny! He might of had it coming.
But I would hate to think that anyone on The Gauge would be castigated for making an honest request like that;
as a rule we try to cut a little slack. :thumb: :thumb:

Maybe we got our foot in our mouth just a bit! :D :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Yep, let's lighten up a bit here. Anyone can ask a question. If the request doesn't interest you, let it be. Who knows? Maybe some one on the forum does have an old camcorder they don't want and might give it away.
Ralph

GearDrivenSteam

Ralph, I was as light as possible. I think this whole thing is hilarious. I'd be completely ashamed to be on a public forum begging for free stuff. Besides all that, you can rent to own the things cheap as get out. It's all a big hoot, really.

fsm1000

My only purpose was to try to offer better tutorials. It was my thought that what I was doing might have been of some help to someone here. If I am of no benefit then fine I don't have to do this.
As for getting free stuff, I do it on freecycle here all the time. I have given many items away as well.
As for getting a camcorder, I ended up with two of them. The one I am keeping is a sony camcorder with two batteries and many accessories.

But heck, if video tutorials are not what you guys want from me PLEASE say so. I would not want to offend anyone with model railroading advice that you don't need or want from me.
Maybe my skills suck so bad you don't want my help. I don't know.
I wanted a video recorder because pictures sometimes don't come across as well as video does. Also my writing skills for teaching are not the best and again, I just thought having a video would prove to be helpful to some.

But if you honestly think this is a waste of your time then please tell me so I can move on to other things.
Better to be honest then to lead me on.

I only asked for a free and OLD one because I live on a disability and do not make much money. As a result it will probably be another month at least, before I can afford tapes for recording on the camcorder now. Anyhow, one thing at a time. At least I have the camcorder and for that I am thankful.

Cid and Ralph, thanks your for your support.

MilesWestern

Woah therea minute!! Tutorials would be splendid! I'd love to see some informative tutorials that may cause me and others here to learn a thing or two! :) There's your mission right there. Everyone can benefit by the dufferent ways people do things in thi hobby, and I think it's great that Freecycle got you two good cameras! :thumb: I can understand your financial position, as some members at my local train club are going through the same thing.

What tutorials were you thinking on doing?

Do you believe that these tutorials could be easily accomplised by someone who watches these videos?

Perhaps if they're really good, you could make a complimentary printable instruction booklet to go with it?

Just my $0.02! :)

fsm1000

GearDrivenSteam said:
Ralph, I was as light as possible. I think this whole thing is hilarious. I'd be completely ashamed to be on a public forum begging for free stuff. Besides all that, you can rent to own the things cheap as get out. It's all a big hoot, really.

As much as I find you offensive I still can not bring myself to wish you become disabled or injured and with no resources. Having been like this myself for a long time now I can tell you it sucks big time. The uncaring and cruel comments of people like yourself is just one of the things disabled and injured people have to live with. While it is my body that is injured, with you it is your values and for you it is a choice. You choose to be cruel and unkind. I did not choose to be this way.

Also I never did nor do I now 'beg' for anything. I simple made a request to what I thought, were people who may have an interest in video tutorials and be willing to help. As it is I found a few of them. I now have more then one camcorder and will be giving away what I do not use. So as you can see, there are those who freely and without malice, give things to others for no other reason then that they do not want to throw it out, if nothing else. One person I got the sony camcorder from was interested in seeing the videos when I got them done. Just to show you that you don't need to beg, try looking up a place called 'freecycle'. None of the people there are begging. Asking people for help in something is not begging. One day you may get a heart and discover this. Or you may not.

I feel sorry for you. You are the one to be pitied, truly.

fsm1000

Miles actually the whole purpose is too show how easy some of the things I do really are. In order to take away the intimidation factor. For one thing many people think hand laying tack or making turnouts is difficult. I don't think so and anyone I show how too seems to think they are not so hard as well. On my site I have tried to show this. But I am hoping that a video with a voice over will show that even more so. I have a few more turnouts to make so hopefully I will get some tapes by then and be able to show how easy they are to make.

As for printable stuff I have that on my website already.
Please pop on over and tell me what you think. Thanks :)

Also i got the video cam for free and the website is free for now anyhow, so I have no intention of charging for the videos either. :)
Just so you know:)