Storm Talon

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

Carved paper? I'm on the edge of my seat to see what you come up with next, I'm sure it will be amazing.

I built one as a prototype and it came out better than I though. The second one is coming along better than the first one but those photos will be coming up soon

Silveroxide, all i can say is wow, you are an awesome model builder, I have enjoyed reading several of your posts and am amazed at your skill in being able to scratch build stuff on the fly like that just amazing, thumbs way up!

Thanks for your encouragement and here I will start the third conversion.

I have been having some problems with my camera in that it keeps shutting off and killing the batteries too fast. I hope that it will hold out for this build, or I will have to revert to my old 3 megapixel camera. The photos of the cockpit build start up, for some reason, disappeared so I will have to start from the built tub forward. In one of the photos, you will see one of he carved Space marine and the last photo is the start of the building of the figure. Enjoy and see you all soon with more updates.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 51

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

Since I cannot proceed until the figures are done, here is my attempt at making the Space Marines out of paper. The dremel comes in handy for this part of the carving process. As usual, the size of the picture pixels determine the sequence, so they are numbered because of this discrepancy. Enjoy and see you all next posting.

I have a commission to do a wooden sailing ship. I have three choices, A Virginia intercoastal smuggler Swift boat, A French Galeon Lejon or the San Salvador. I will make some parts from paper but over all, it will be about 80% wood. I have to make it by Thanksgiving, which will make it a rush project. This means that the Attack Heli may be a slow build, maybe.:wave::wave::wave:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 6

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

How did you even think of this stuff??? I wish I had your imagination!

I think that I missed my calling, I believe I was supposed to be at the Toy shop, North Pole, working for good old St Nick. Imagination is a good thing to have if you wish to design or re-fit models. This all comes from a past of scratch building and making dioramas with plastic models and helping set up railroad landscaping for HO scale.

On with the updates in the making of the Space Marine. Follow the number sequence. Again, the sequence is off due to the image size.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 7

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

The figures are finished and now I can dedicate the rest of the build to the Helicopter version. The troop compartment is coming along nicely and after scrutinizing more closely, it looks like a Space Marine stretch Limousine.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 65
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 51
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
More excellent tips, like your method of motor tool and sandpaper shaping. I have used it myself on more than one occasion and media type and it works great. It is the modelers miniature lathe/drill press/machining tool.

Good luck with your commission, making money is a whole lot more important so we all understand if things don't get in as often for the moment.;)

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

More excellent tips, like your method of motor tool and sandpaper shaping. I have used it myself on more than one occasion and media type and it works great. It is the modelers miniature lathe/drill press/machining tool.

Good luck with your commission, making money is a whole lot more important so we all understand if things don't get in as often for the moment.;)

Thanks for the comments. The dremel is a necessary tool for all hobbyist. As you mentioned, it is very versatile. On my wooden ships, I use it extremely for the belaying pins made from toothpicks.

As for that commission, I have all the items needed to start building it. I will probably start it this Monday and work on it while watching the election results on the FOX News.

In the meantime, here are some more photo updates of the model. It almost looks like a modified version of the Blackhawk except for the cockpit.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 5

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

And the build continues with more updates on the 40K Marine Helicopter.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 19
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 39

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The space marines look FANTASTIC!!!
If you had not shown that (and how) you made then, I (and most everyone else) would not have believed that you had made them.
The troop transport is coming together nicely as well.

Z

Zathros

I would like to break these up in some manner. The threads are merging one into another and it is difficult to see that there are three models inhere. Give me some suggestions before I act. Send me a P.M. Thanks. :)

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

The space marines look FANTASTIC!!!
If you had not shown that (and how) you made then, I (and most everyone else) would not have believed that you had made them.
The troop transport is coming together nicely as well.

I just decided to make the figures the way I used to when I scratch built in styrene, pre-paper days. Those figures take a lot of time and effort in the making. It would have been easier to do like I did for the Walker and took one from the GW and cut him up for the pose.

I would like to break these up in some manner. The threads are merging one into another and it is difficult to see that there are three models inhere. Give me some suggestions before I act. Send me a P.M. Thanks. :)

I sent you a PM and I would like to keep them in the same thread but as you mentioned, give a title to explain the works included in the thread. "Storm Talon and 4 conversions" or "Storm Talon, Manned Walker, Helicopter and Starfighter." This would be much easier,than trying to break up the sequence.

Maybe the members could put some input as to the lay out.

Her are some more photo updates of the build

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 151

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

Continuing with the Marine Chopper. It is coming along better than I expected. Again as usual, the site sequence is off so follow the numerical photo sequence.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 3
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 5
Z

Zathros

This looks so freaking cool! I love the troops seats. I can't wait to see how it looks when it's done! :)

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

This looks so freaking cool! I love the troops seats. I can't wait to see how it looks when it's done! :)

Thanks Zathros, I did not make the seat belts and that is another option that can be done if it was done as a troop carrier, but this version will be a weapons platform.

If this was an imperial guard chopper, The cabin would have been a two side by side seater instead of piggy back. The cabin is big enough for two guardsmen. I will do the doors to see how it would look with them but I will not use them in the final project due to the weapons update which will need the doors open.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 3

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

Nice looking build so far...
Thanks Micah, There is still a bit more to come but it is looking real good and hopefully with the weapons upgrades, mean and nasty.

So the work continues with more updates on the Chopper.

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 60
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 3
Z

Zathros

Blades are too short from a physics point of view. To lift such a load would require that they spin rather fast and would reach supersonic very quickly. Now, if that is how it looks in the WarHammer40K, then so be it. I only say this because after working for Sikorsky for 10 yeas, I tell you that looks like a real viable helicopter. I love it!! :)

silveroxide

Blades are too short from a physics point of view. To lift such a load would require that they spin rather fast and would reach supersonic very quickly. Now, if that is how it looks in the WarHammer40K, then so be it. I only say this because after working for Sikorsky for 10 yeas, I tell you that looks like a real viable helicopter. I love it!! :)

Yes I know, But I have seen some medevac choppers for city/urban use that very short blades but by increasing the blades to 5, they are able achieve lift. I my case, if I had done away with the backseater and moved the engine hump forward, The blades would have been viable. I f I had made them longer, they would have extended past the tail section and interfered with the rear blade assembly. I used artistic license and shortened them. Anyways, Helicopters and c-119s like bees are not supposed to fly, they just beat the air and gravity into submission:twisted:

Z

Zathros

Oh yeah, they fly for a very good reason. I don't like to go into stuff like this too much because I get called a know it all. The five bladed rotors are to generate more lift, that's for certain. That was why we upgraded all (well most) of the Sea Kings to the 5 blade elastomeric hub and added an extra engine. A CH53E with a 79 ft. rotor diameter will reach near supersonic at the wing tips doing 373 r.p.m.. There is not lift at this point and that is why craft like the Carver Copter with a slowed rotary wing are being eyeballed.In translational flight, the center of lift on a counter clockwise rotating rotary wing moves towards the front and right of the aircraft. This is because the wing is advancing into the on coming air while the other blade is retreating. The tail rotors main job is to prevent the helicopter from corkscrewing and thus terminating fight in an unwanted manner. Now, if you look at the trailing edge of each wing, and you could still do this to our model, it looks like a long sideways "S" shape. This is because as you approach the center of rotation the speed relative to the air slows, so as the blade makes it's way inwards towards the main shaft from the tip, the trailing edge starts to drop, changing the angle of incidence of the wing cutting more steeply into the wind and securing lift at all speeds, while the leading edge looks pretty much the same. this is very pronounced on Blackhawk helicopters.

If you have a good eye, and know what you are looking for, you can see it quite clearly in this picture.

a03_20841945.jpg

silveroxide

Attack Support Chopper

Here are some more updates on the 40K chopper. Postings may be sporadic from here on. I will be working on the Virginia Swift boat soon. The model is taking shape and the weapons are not done yet. Still considering the weapons components for it. Enjoy and see you all soon with more updates.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 5
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg