"Stonewallin':" An Update

Here are some "update" photos of my "Stonewallin'" project and the "Ugly Little Garage" project that I posted about this past winter and spring.

The diorama is a mix of kit built, kit-bashed, and scratch built structures, but it's based on Sierra West's "Foss' Landing." It's just one part of what will become a 32" X 48" rivertown/water front module.

Obviously, I still have a long way to go on just this part. As you can see, the structures are just temporarily placed in their locations. There are still wood fences to be put up, and I don't have any of the detail castings in place yet. And it's pretty obvious the water hasn't been poured yet.

Even so, I'm making progress.... ;)

Attachments

• fossscenery3w.jpg
    fossscenery3w.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 323

ezdays

Out AZ way
Nice, real nice. I'm glad you gave us more than one view this time.;) Not knowing what's on the other side can cause someone to wonder.....

Don

Clerk

Casey, You did a fantastic job on these buildings and pilings. I remember the shed from before.

belg

Casey another great project!!!! I was hoping for a few perticulars like siding and roofing material and especially for me the signs. I need a few good sign how to's.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Very nice Casey, I love the detail that you put into your modeling.
I agree wth Don that it is great to have different views.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Belg, most of the signs are dry transfers that came with the Foss' Landing kit. The rest came from a variety of sources and are printed on paper. I simply scuffed them with very fine sandpaper and weathered them with dry chalks.

Here's a source for a large number of vintage signs. Since they're downloadable in jpg format, they can be resized to almost any scale and for almost any use. I have used a number of these for 1920's-era rooftop billboards as well as window and wall signs. I just size them to what I need, print them out with my inkjet, and go from there. Check these out:

http://www.trainweb.org/tylick/signnewintro.htm

For a lot of my signs, I use George Sellios' old trick of sanding the back of the sign until the sign is quite thin. Then I glue it to the brick or wood siding and burnish it in to the texture of the wall. Sometimes I also use a sharp #11 blade to slice the signs so they conform to the brickwork or wood grain.

As for the roofing, some of it is laser cut shingles applied with an Elmer's glue stick. Some of it is inkjet paper sprayed with flat black and drybrushed with "olive drab" acrylic paint.

Hope this gets you started. :)

RailRon

Casey - beautiful, just beautiful! :) :) :)

It's always a delight to study your style of weathering. You really got the hang of it! I save all your pictures for later reference.

Your structures (and rolling stock) look used, bleached by the sun, paint is peeling, metal sheets are oxydized - but you never overdo it. Your buildings are old and well used, but not run-down, rusting-away trash heaps. Aaah - to master that difference!!!

And also thanks for the hints with the signs! Great website!

Ron

Thanks, guys. :)

Ron, your comment about the structures not looking like "run-down, rusting-away trash heaps" was of interest to me. As you noticed, I really try to avoid that appearance. Over the years, I have seen a number of "finescale" industrial models that had the roofs literally falling in and the loading docks falling off. And I had to ask myself what sort of person would ever consider working in a place like that if it were real. (OK... no wisecracks, Jon :rolleyes: :D )

So while my models may have peeling paint and a broken window pane here and there, they seldom have holes in the roof or missing stair treads or a badly rotted and tilting bell tower. :eek: Now, if I were modeling an abandoned structure, it might be a different story. :D Thanks for the comments, Ron.

Bob Collins

Hey Casey. Is the waterway the Osage River? I figure I'll start seeing some of your traffic floating by just any day now.

As all the others have correctly stated, great work and pix too!!

Bob

Lighthorseman

Beautiful!

As stated by the others, great work!! Really, really nice modelling all through that scene.

One question, though...where's the steam-powered Seadoo?:D

Bob, you're right, it's the Osage. :cool: As I have the whole module planned, this scene will be just downstream of where the tie rafts are corraled and pulled from the river by a Barnhart Loader.

Steve, that steam-powered, gear-driven SeaDoo (aka "SteamDoo") is out on the river right now. It's ridin' herd on another mile-long tie raft comin' downstream. :rolleyes: :D

spitfire

Wow Casey, I agree with everyone else - fantastic modeling! The subtle approach to weathering is much more difficult to master, but you've done it and the result is amazing realism. Why aren't we seeing your work in MRR?

cheers
Val