Stone Wall from Plaster

F

Fred_M

tourist trap 3

I don't know if I invented this method, but I have never seen, heard, nor read of anyone else doing it, so I guess I did invent it. I glue cedar bedding (sold at WalMart for pet bedding) in rows after I cut it to size. It's a time consuming task and can only be done one row at a time. Each row is sandwiched in an old phonebook with aluminum foil, so it wont stick, and allowed to flatten and dry. It takes an hour or so a row to dry so it's a couple day process. The small areas that seem to be missing are filled later with fine pieces. And yes, it's a cereal box. Dash10

Attachments

• roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 117
F

Fred_M

tourist trap 4

I finally got the shingling done and then I stuck the roof on with hotmelt. I then installed trim made from basswoood, tag, and matteboard. I now need to build a base and weather the structure some. I'm also going to build a big eye catching sign. DASH

Attachments

• cave4.jpg
    cave4.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 101
F

Fred_M

I also installed lights as I do in most of my structures. This is my first attempt at "night" photography and am suprised my digi cam does so well in low light. I seen Robin's photo of his church and it gave me the idea to try it, so THX...DASH

Attachments

• nshot.jpg
    nshot.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 102

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nice stuff dash... :thumb:

You really should put this work in a new thread so it doesn't get lost! ;)

However, there's at least three good ideas in here - the original wall and rocks, the garage scene, and now the "tourist trap".

It is sort of like the Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy - when Douglas Adams wrote the fourth and fifth books, they carried the subtitle - "Part ___ of the increasing inaccurately named Hitch Hikers Trilogy"

Andrew

Note: I make this suggestion with no idea of the work required to break up the thread - and it is time consuming (and space consuming) to repost...

F

Fred_M

I kind of took it upon myself to alter it to the Stonewall module project. I'm working on a sign and will post it on a new thread. DASH

F

Fred_M

I installed the sign for thr tourist trap and added some walks and did some scenic work. I have also started the wires for the mountain. I'll need to get the backboard in place before the mountain goes much further. DASH

Attachments

• cave5.jpg
    cave5.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 172

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
I have been watching your progress on this and I am absolutely amazed at the work you have done. Great job. I love the tourist trap concept. Can't wait to see the completed project - but I don't know that we ever 'complete' our railroads.

F

Fred_M

Here's an image from another restful spot on my layout and shows how you can sometimes get away with using Xmas houses for background buildings, at least I think they look good. DASH

Attachments

• im000552.jpg
    im000552.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 169

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
NICE stuff!! Very creative, I was especially struck by using the computer cable as a 'mold' for the corrugated siding.

2 questions, if I may:

You use the term 'tag', what is that?

How the heck do you make a living running a store where you seem to spend most your time modeling?? :D :thumb: Lucky Devil!! lol

F

Fred_M

Tag is tag stock and is thick paper. It's sold at even WalMart in colors. I only spend 1 to 2 hours a day modeling. You would be amased what can be done in a hour a day over a week of actually building. I run a small computer store and lots of what I do is wipe and reload Windows. That's happening now, and it's free time that's paid for. I dont set and watch a computer copy files for 40 min. I do forums or build something. I also do little stuff at night while I'm watching TV. Most TV is boring and repetative, we just stare at it to pass time. I mean TNN and TNT, well all of them, show the same movie twice a day once a week for 3 months, geeze. So I pass time sticking stuff together. My most productive night is Monday while the wife watches Raw, I like it too, but honestly it's red neck soap opera and very predictable. DASH

F

Fred_M

No. I wasn't offended in the least. Several years ago I smoked and drank. I got sick and quit both and started modelling again using the time and money I spent a smokin' and a drinkin'. I can't believe the amount of both I wasted all them years. If I had done this instead of that all those years I would have a bigger layout then The Museum of Science and Industry.:) DASH

F

Fred_M

My 1 hour today was more like 2. I cast a garden yesterday and today I carved, painted, weathered, and planted it. It was so much fun I'll have to stay a little late tonite to catch up on the paying jobs. I was going to put some people setting on it, but they are either glued down or not painted, so that will come later...DASH

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 134
F

Fred_M

12-4-2003

Since my last post i decided to put a (gasp) kit into my module. This is an old ConCor kit that I purchased on ebay for like $7 and put together last winter. It's been setting on a shelf since. My foray into building a modular brick building didn't fare so well, and I like this building so I planted it. Prob. get banned from this forum over that, but...:eek:ops: I put one of my "trinkets" in the court, better there than in the curio. I also started hard shelling the background mountains. -x

Attachments

• progress.jpg
    progress.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 122
F

Fred_M

Hard shell done and painted gray n green. Next I drybrushed the background to simulate trees in the distance. Then a row of old used and faded scotchbrite triangles are glued on. Then rows of trees and ground foam. As the trees go down they get bigger. I need to go buy more trees. DASH

Attachments

• trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 127
F

Fred_M

Trees came in

My trees finally came in and I installed them. What you all think? DASH

Attachments

• treesa.jpg
    treesa.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 69