Stone Wall from Plaster

F

Fred_M

Bill's Auto Repair

Thanks all for the comments. I'm a lone wolf but not by choice. About everyone who comes into my shop gets to see my layout and I have met a few who claim they want to start a club or build a module, but no one ever comes through and does anything. So I finally have decided to build a mobile layout all by myself. So I built two more corners and now have an 8 X 16 dual track oval that is 4 corners and 2- 8 foot straights. This is the first of two corners I need to finish. The new oval hooks up to my old 8 X 8 L shaped layout for point to point. So today I put in a side street and installed a building I scratched this summer out of "matchstick" hobby wood and toothpicks with a aluminium foil roof. The roof was corregated on computer ribbon cable with my thumb. The new 80 pin cable makes great N scale tin too. I then added a few figures and cars and will add some junk as the mood hits.

Attachments

• bills.jpg
    bills.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 185
F

Fred_M

Bill's Auto Repair

Maybe this image has more details like the antifreeze on the road and the doors and tin. The antifreeze looks cool in real life. It's a little leaf green mixed in gloss medium and is transparant so a crack in the road shows through and it's glossy and looks wet.

Attachments

• bills2.jpg
    bills2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 181
F

Fred_M

leak

Sorry, This is so cool looking to me I just have to post it. It was an experiment that came out better than expected.

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 183
F

Fred_M

Thanks, but it amazes me what you do with cornflake boxes and a little paint. :)

jon-monon

Re: leak

Originally posted by dash10
Sorry, This is so cool looking to me I just have to post it. It was an experiment that came out better than expected.

That's why I don't let my LPBs have any beer! :D :D :D

Great work!

F

Fred_M

Office furnished

My office furniture came in today and I'm glad to get moved in. I like the new facia on my store, I can now stand in the window and daydream about quitten time.

Attachments

• new office.jpg
    new office.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 140
F

Fred_M

This cafe is made from plaster walls using leftover windows and doors from a kit. The curved window is a tube that CA accelerator came in. There's even a plant in it made from scotchbrite. The blue trim is doll house flooring. All the roofs and floors are foamcore. The second building is DPM walls with milkcarton windows for that old frosted glass look. I'm thinking it will be an office building or bank. What do you all think? The store is leftover acrylic door glass with styrene trim. Sidewalk is plaster and road is matteboard.

Attachments

• row.jpg
    row.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 138

Arlaghan

Looks really cool! Great scenery work! :)

That green leak you have there... if it were red, would look like something else!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

F

Fred_M

Sorry, that car has a three on the tree transmission, but if you mixed red and gloss medium the look would surely work as well. I put some black and gloss trying to do mud puddles and they came out looking like oil leak puddles. You could also get some white chalk and do a scene with red. Which red were you thinking of?

Arlaghan

The chalk outline would make a good scene! :D

With your existing scene, I was imagining the hood having slammed down, the man trapped where he is now, and a trail of "red" trickling out from under the car. :eek: :eek:

My how we mistreat the "little folk" LOL!

F

Fred_M

:) Today I installed a public restroom. The city council passed a law requiring all businesses to have one but didn't say where. :D

Attachments

• public.jpg
    public.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 181

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
That looks like it is a scene from Paris Dash10
Don't know how well the locals in your neck of the woods will accept it let alone use it.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

F

Fred_M

Next Lot

Thanks all for the comments. Here’s an overview of what I have done as of 11/21/03. Where the red tow truck is will be row merchants when I get the molds in to cast some bricks buildings from plaster. Same with the area besides the store. Kitty corner from the tow truck is a small area that I have decided will be one of the many tourist traps that still line the smaller highways yet today. It’s always been a past time of me and my wife to stop at tourist traps. We live near Branson Missouri so we get lots of practice locally. We love trinkets. So in that area I am building a cave entrance / giftshop.

Attachments

• over1121.jpg
    over1121.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 149
F

Fred_M

Next Lot part2

So I fired up Print Artist and pasted together something that looked 1970ish. This building isn’t modeled after a specific building but rather is a fusion of lots of different ones. The name of the trap will be Titus Cave (say it fast). It will be built into the cliff face and will be a neat way to build a “flat” and get away with it. In front will be a small sidewalk and small parking lot. Above the cliff will be a lush green mountain slope to the backboard. DASH RIPROCK

Attachments

• over1121a.jpg
    over1121a.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 140
F

Fred_M

tourist trap

I’m going to do a layer build on this project. First I turn my pattern over and with a black marker I mark a piece of foamcore to cut. Note the sides are really straight and my camera is introducing distortion. Next I tape on the glass and apply the frame that is made from tag waste colored black with a marker. The push bars are gray tag.

Attachments

• cave2.jpg
    cave2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 202
F

Fred_M

turist trap 2

Next I cut and glue on some brick veneer.

Attachments

• cave3.jpg
    cave3.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 127