Still In The Car Shop

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I think it was Casey that posted a really neat picture of a little sand car that had gotten left on a side track.

When Ezra P. Terrible, owner of the East Terrible Mining Co. saw it he turned to The Robber Barron and said..."I need something like that to haul 'Shine in....now get your butt busy!!!":eek:

Here's the result...still in the shop awaiting its lettering but its fit to be seen:D In true Robber Barron fashion its scratched from a set of kit plans borrowed from a friend:eek: :D :D :D

Attachments

• watercar.jpg
    watercar.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 237
Very nice! Put that car in the middle of the train and all the brakemen should stop complaining about having to walk to the back of the train to uncouple cars! Of course, the conductors will start complaining how the brakemen take longer and longer to get the job done with every stop!;)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Re: Nifty!

Originally posted by TinGoat
What scale/gage is that little puppy?

That is one sweet pea :p I guess HOn3 since his profile indicates it's an interest. Now if only we had a multi-scale/gauge narrow gauge forum to talk about it :D :D :D hint-hint-hint :D :D :D jon

This is the Zn3 conspiracy, resistance is futile, one rail rules, this is the Zn3 conspiracy...

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Thanks for the compliments gentlemen.:)

Ron & Jon....Its HOn3

Pete....Now that you mention it I left off the hose for the spigot!!:eek: Would be kinda hard to guzzle without it!!:D :D :D
Please don't tell Ezra....He'd have my butt for that!!!:D :D :D

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
A BIG Thumbs Up!

A moonshine car! Absolutely HILARIOUS!!
cheers.gif

Can you PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE post the plans, or email them to me? I simply MUST make one for my On30 logging line!:D

Thanks!

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Steve and John, I don't have a scanner to scan the plans but they are about worthless anyway....The orginal kit was pre-cut and the instructions contained no dimensions. The one "cruddy" drawing was not to any scale so I just guessed at what size it ought to be. Everything for the most part is built out of N scale scribed siding and strip wood. Its just a box that sits on a frame with an HOn3 truck glued underneath that. The stake pockets are some that I had in my scrap box. Grandt Line's should work OK. The ladder is again out of the junk box as well as the brake wheel. The NBW casting are Grandt Line. Couplers are Kadee N scale with the trip pins cut off. The hatch hinge is Grandt Line. The spigot is a piece of wire squeezed in a pair of pliers and filed until it looked right. The truck is a Grandt Line D&RGW freight truck. I cut away the plastic bolster and added a piece of scrapwood in its place. The original one won't work because its tapered. The orginal kit had some kind of special truck casting. Here's the dimensions that I used and a photo of the underside/frame. All are HO. Good luck with yours and post a pic! This is one of those things that you can "go wild" on if you want to!!!!

Length over endbeams... 11 ft.
Width..... 6.5 ft.
Tank.... 6.5 wide x 9.5 length x 5.5 high
Uprights... 7 ft.
Frame.... Made from 4x6 HO strip

Note....To get the coupler height correct you may have to shim the truck to raise the carbody before gluing the truck in place. The truck does not swivel.

Attachments

• wca.jpg
    wca.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 163

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Originally posted by Vic
Good luck with yours and post a pic! This is one of those things that you can "go wild" on if you want to!!!!

Great! thanks for sharing. Hafta see if I can put a littel spin on your idea :)

Note....To get the coupler height correct you may have to shim the truck to raise the carbody before gluing the truck in place. The truck does not swivel.

Is any N gauge knuckle coupler the standard for HOn3? Do you set the height to N gauge standards?

jon

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Jon, The Kadee N Gauge coupler is often used in HOn3 when you have restricted coupler box clearences. Its not really the standard but the N Gauge coupler and the Kadee HOn3 coupler are identical in construction only the N Gauge coupler is about 25% smaller. They mate up and operate just fine with the regular HOn3 coupler. I use the height standard as indicated on the NMRA HOn3 Standards Gauge.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thanks, Vic, I will have to mull over those standards and RP's. I've begun to hurl stupid narrow gauge newbie questions on the tech Q&A section. :D I want to do so much all at once... too bad there aren't 3 of me. If I weren't such an old fart, they'd put me on Ridlin!

jon

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Ridlin...

Originally posted by jon-monon
Thanks, Vic, I will have to mull over those standards and RP's. I've begun to hurl stupid narrow gauge newbie questions on the tech Q&A section. :D I want to do so much all at once... too bad there aren't 3 of me. If I weren't such an old fart, they'd put me on Ridlin!

jon

Having worked with troubled youth, I have learned a thing or two about Ridlin.

Did you know that Ridlin has the opposite effect on adults as it does on kids!?

Where it mellows children, it has a tendancy to cause hyperactivity in Adults. You could use the Ridlin to speed yourself up! Instead of having three of you, you cauld have one of you moving 3 times faster! :D

Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question! Only Stupid Know-It-Alls who would rather put you down than share their knowledge. We've all got questions and even some answers to share. That's why we're all here.

The real fool is the one that is too afraid to ask questions for fear of looking stupid. They would rather show their ignorance through the mistakes they make, than learn how to avoid those mistakes.

Oops, was I just ranting.... :rolleyes:

Sorry. :confused:

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Ron, I don't mean to "rant" either but I had an occasion to be at an elementary school the other day around lunch time. I noticed that there maybe 40 or so kids lined up at the door to the principal's office. Just jokingly I said to the teacher that I was talking to..."surely this many kids haven't been bad":D She replied..."No, they're waiting to take their Ridlin....so they will behave ":eek:

Jeeez and Crackers!!!.....Has the educational system so declined that we have to "dope" the kids to maintain classroom order!:mad: This school only has about 300 students and around 20% have ADD???? Seems to me that parents and teachers are "shirking" from their responsibility and letting a pill do the work!!!!:mad: :(

Off the soapbox and back to the layout!!:D :D :D

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
I'm with you Vic!

Warning! The following is a Rant...
Hi Vic,

It's not just the Educational system that is at fault, but society as a whole.

My experience with Ridlin is that it is used as a baby sitter in too many cases. :mad: I worked at a Summer Camp for inter-city kids for many years.

Many of the kids on Ridlin were on it for the wrong reason. They weren't ADD. :mad:

In a summer camp environment, kids are able to run around and burn off all of their energy. Most of the kids got a chance to come off of the Ridlin at least for a week or two. My experience was that these were just normal, healthy kids in need of recreation.

So many kids these days are told to sit still all day long. They have to sit still all day in school. (Intermural and Extra-curricular Sports and other activities have been cut due to lack of funding.) They then have to go home and sit still in front of the TV (Cathode Ray Baby Sitter.)

Kids are Kids and they need room to run around and burn off their healthy and normal energy.

Inter-city kids often have it the worst because it isn't always safe for them to run around and play outdoors. With parents absent or at work, there isn't always someone to watch out for these kids.:mad:

It's very depressing to think about all of these kids with nowhere to play and just be kids.
All I can say is for folks to get involved in their communities to prevent this from continuing.

End of Rant...