Still giving me fits

Discussion in 'Software' started by Willja67, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I'm sure all of you who have read some of my posts on the subject are geting sick of this but I'll beg your patience once more. :lol:

After getting rhino and using it to change my autocad files over to ai format so they would be useable in corel draw some progress was made. My problem is getting the fill command to work. Tim (wunwinglow) has given some valuable tips that got me quite a ways further than I would have gotten otherwise.

After importing the ai file I had to ungroup the whole thing, then I chose one section of fuselage and used the pick tool to select the the outline of the section, then I used the arrange-convert outline to object to make it all one piece. At this point the fill dialog box on the right side of the screen started working. After some fiddling I noticed that the outline of the fuselage section had changed color to the one I was hoping to fill the piece with. I selected the shape tool and found that the outline had nodes on the inside and outside of the outline. So I grabbed the interior nodes and was able to drag them all into the middle and thus fill the piece with a solid color.

As nice as it was to see some progress I know that I need a better technique or something cause that won't work on some of the more complicated pieces. So for those of you who know what to do to solve this problem, I anxiously await your reply.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I'm sure all of you who have read some of my posts on the subject are geting sick of this but I'll beg your patience once more. :lol:

After getting rhino and using it to change my autocad files over to ai format so they would be useable in corel draw some progress was made. My problem is getting the fill command to work. Tim (wunwinglow) has given some valuable tips that got me quite a ways further than I would have gotten otherwise.

After importing the ai file I had to ungroup the whole thing, then I chose one section of fuselage and used the pick tool to select the the outline of the section, then I used the arrange-convert outline to object to make it all one piece. At this point the fill dialog box on the right side of the screen started working. After some fiddling I noticed that the outline of the fuselage section had changed color to the one I was hoping to fill the piece with. I selected the shape tool and found that the outline had nodes on the inside and outside of the outline. So I grabbed the interior nodes and was able to drag them all into the middle and thus fill the piece with a solid color.

As nice as it was to see some progress I know that I need a better technique or something cause that won't work on some of the more complicated pieces. So for those of you who know what to do to solve this problem, I anxiously await your reply.
  3. rowiac

rowiac Member

I use Illustrator myself, so I'm no Corel expert, but I spent a few minutes playing around with CorelDRAW 12 that I recently installed and I think I know what your problem is.

When vector graphics are imported from another application such as Rhino or AutoCAD, the nodes (endpoints) on the vector objects are often not connected, so they are actually a bunch of separate lines rather than a single object. If you don't have a complete, closed object with the nodes all connected, you are going to have trouble trying to apply a fill.

In CorelDRAW, the first thing you need to do is combine all the separate objects into a single curve object. You can do this by selecting the appropriate lines, right mouse-clicking and selecting Combine.

Next hold down Shift and select the nodes you want to join. You have to do this for each set of two nodes that need to be joined. If the two nodes are on top of each other, drag a rectangular select box over them (while holding down Shift) to make sure both of them are selected. Now the "Extend curve to close" button lights up--click on it, and voila! the two nodes are joined into one.

Do this for the rest of the unconnected nodes in the object to close it completely and the fill function should work.

If anybody knows a better way to do this, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Roger
  4. rowiac

rowiac Member

I use Illustrator myself, so I'm no Corel expert, but I spent a few minutes playing around with CorelDRAW 12 that I recently installed and I think I know what your problem is.

When vector graphics are imported from another application such as Rhino or AutoCAD, the nodes (endpoints) on the vector objects are often not connected, so they are actually a bunch of separate lines rather than a single object. If you don't have a complete, closed object with the nodes all connected, you are going to have trouble trying to apply a fill.

In CorelDRAW, the first thing you need to do is combine all the separate objects into a single curve object. You can do this by selecting the appropriate lines, right mouse-clicking and selecting Combine.

Next hold down Shift and select the nodes you want to join. You have to do this for each set of two nodes that need to be joined. If the two nodes are on top of each other, drag a rectangular select box over them (while holding down Shift) to make sure both of them are selected. Now the "Extend curve to close" button lights up--click on it, and voila! the two nodes are joined into one.

Do this for the rest of the unconnected nodes in the object to close it completely and the fill function should work.

If anybody knows a better way to do this, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Roger