stilgarhammer's "V" skyfighter build

stilgarhammer

I have started my skyfighter build.

Skyfighter.jpg

It wil be a large model with a wingspan of about 12 inches (30cm). I have decided to break up the build in 4 pieces. I have the first part, the cockpit, roughly done.

Here I show a size comparison to a 2 liter soda bottle of the cockpit.
Next up will be the front hull section.

Maverick65

I liked the original miniseries and show when it first aired. Didn't miss an episode, have them all on video now. Looks like your doing just fine. Will keep watching to see how things turn out.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's gonna be HUGE! Is this a scratch-build or based on some plans? All paper or a material mix?

stilgarhammer

update pics..

The black areas on the wing tips are missing the parts. Ran out of glue. More progress this weekend planed. The cockpit is not yet connected to the front hull section, I plan I strengthening it up with a coat of fiberglass resin on the inside before I glue the parts together. I also want to get the landing gear area on the bottom of the cockpit set up in case I want to add the gear later.

stilgarhammer

Few more progress pics...

Working on Aft hull now, hoping to have it together by weekend. Again the cockpit and front hull are NOT attached. I have decided to wait on the fiberglass rewsin coating until I get all major pieces together.

dnalor

nice looking spacecraft you have.
With this cockpit part you can build almost every ship from the series

stilgarhammer

Thought I would throw this out. I have decided to try doing the landing gear, A big thanks goes out to Thunderchild for helping with the gear templates.

I have about half the aft hull glued together. I was thinking, many have done the skyfighter, but few, if any, has done a tanker or transport version. So I was wondering about making my skyfighter able to separate and do a different version.

What you guys/gals think ??
tanker or transport ??

screen cap of Thunderchild's PDF
you can get it here..http://www.infochaos.de/infochaos/V/V.html

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thought I would throw this out. I have decided to try doing the landing gear, A big thanks goes out to Thunderchild for helping with the gear templates.

I have about half the aft hull glued together. I was thinking, many have done the skyfighter, but few, if any, has done a tanker or transport version. So I was wondering about making my skyfighter able to separate and do a different version.

What you guys/gals think ??
tanker or transport ??

screen cap of Thunderchild's PDF
you can get it here..http://www.infochaos.de/infochaos/V/V.html

I made the fighter once. It was an easy model to build. i have thought about building it again, but if I do, I will put magnets is it so that later I can build the tanker and the troop/cargo transport modules and change them out.
I would like to see you build them as well. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

stilgarhammer

well that will have to be put on hold. wall1 wall1 wall1 BEFORE I can do anything I have to reinforce the thing, the center seam tries to come apart, its sagging under its own weight. SOOO if I am to do anything, I need more reinforcement in that area. I am thinking a couple dowel rods across the seam.

stilgarhammer

Houston we have a problem :cry:

In a attempt to reinforce the fighter, many parts were damaged an must be replaced. So I have placed it on hold, (again :curse:), Until I decide what I will do, replace the parts or start a new fighter.

If I start a new one, I think I will do it a bit smaller so as to make it better suited for the transport or tanker add-on. Lessons learned will make the new one go easier. :cool:

What kind of paper did you use ?
When I wanna build a big size model I'll use at least 180gsm paper and use 240gsm or 1.5mm cardboard for reinforcement. For very large surfaces I laminate the 180gsm onto the 240gsm or 1.5mm.

Just asking :)
Bummer man that it didn't work out, it was becomming a nice model.

Cheers,
Elko

stilgarhammer

Did not use any paper, was all done in 1mm styrene plastic. I have decided to start over but the size has been reduced to 8 inch (20cm) wingspan.