Steep Gulch question

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
New Jersey How yous doing
Visit site
I am almost finished with one side of Jackass Gulch. The other side will be very steep:curse: I can try the same type of rock on the finished side, just stright up and down, or perhaps a wall of sone kind. What do you think will look better, not that you will see it unless you look down the gulch.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I agree with viperman. If there's rock on one side, it's not likely to change to some less stable material in the short distance across the width of the cut.

Wayne

L

lester perry

If you have the room I would make it a cut like the other side. If space is an issue make a low wall maybe the hight of a RR car with cut above it.
Les

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
Temp wall in place

I put two sections of the wall up to see how it looks. I may reverse the seggestion to make a low wall and put the rock on top. I may make a couple of layers of rock, then place the third section of the wall on top of it so the last section dose not look too tall.:eek:ops:

Attachments

• DSCF01432.JPG
    DSCF01432.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF01521.JPG
    DSCF01521.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCF01531.JPG
    DSCF01531.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 127

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
If you had only a bare hill ridge on top of that vertical rise, I would have made a rock wall. But with the second rail line on top a wall makes perfect sense.

And this wall looks darn good! :thumb:

I have a spot on my layout with the same problem - perhaps I'll take the liberty to copy your wall style...:D

Ron

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
Thanks,
I used 3/16" thick foam board. I just made a base to size, placed 3/16" thick pannels inside, seperated by 3/16" (using a scrap of foam board to keep the space constant). I sprayed the inside with Pam then poured in the plaster. When it was getting hard, I pulled it apart. There were some pices on the verticals that either came off or diden't fill with plaster, but the small oned gave it that old beat up wall look and if I had wanted to I could have touched them up with plaster.