Steamers

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
SP Pacific, A double Positive

Jacksters,

That really looks great!

I had seen one at the Lansing train show in November. Love the case it came in. Reminded of an old Honer Harmonica case.

Looking forward to the other stuff.

Marc:wave:

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Re: Model Power Pacific

Originally posted by Cinnibar

I haven't try to max it out but it has no problem pulling 5 coaches up a 4%

Reacts nicely to momentum starts and stops

Great looking little loco. Are you pulling the 85" coaches? Also are you using DCC or DC control for thei loco?

BTW those are some fine looking pictures also.:) :) :)

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Pacific

Davidstrains,

My combines are 85 footers but, due to available space in staging, my coaches are 60 foot commuter coaches by Bachmann. The Pacific wasn't straing a bit, but I wouldn't want to guess when it would slip. Maybe when some guys drop by we will try to max it out, but I never will on my trains. The funny thing is the advance in technology. I've been using an old MRC Berkshire and it slipped with three 60 foot coaches! I've been in N gauge a long time and I'm absolutely gitty about all of these great running and great pulling steamers! I'm still using regular DC, doubt I'll change.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
I, too, am in "N" and I have bothe Steam and early diesels. I have 2 of the Kato "Mikes" and 3 of the Bachmann "Spectrum 2-8-0's of which only 1 is DCC equipped. I have decoders in several of the deisels. I like the new steam stuff. I installed the traction wheel set on one of the Mikes and could pull 25 cars on 2.2% and still had no slip. I generally pull 10-12 with the 2-8-0's I may have to try that Pacific. I have an old Arnold-Rapido B&O Blue Pacific that I bought in the early 70's. It still runs good but is very noisy. I haven't looked at the "guts" of the unit to see if it can be converted to DCC.

Where did you find the Bachmann commuters. I need to get those. I don't like the 85's for my era and roads.

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Bachmann Commuters

Davidstrains,

I found them all on E-Bay for anywhere from $4 to $6. They were all different roads but I stripped them, painted and lettered them with Micro-Scale S.P. heavyweight passenger car decals. I have 10 of them at this point. I need to get MT trucks and couplers on them but they are used as through trains from El Paso and San Antonio so they make only a brief apperance during ops sessions. That project is down the list a ways.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I, too, model the 30's-50's era with the B&M. The 80+ footers are nice but, the B&M ran 68 foot open platform coaches right up to the end on many commuter runs. Unfortunately, they're not available in N scale. The bachmann 65' coaches wouldn't fit my needs so, I bought some MDC 50' old time coaches and bashed some 68 footers for my commuter trains. What I did can be seen on the following thread. Page two shows a little better photography.

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3522

Dick

Attachments

• b&mgreencoach01smcr.jpg
    b&mgreencoach01smcr.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 75