Steamers

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Gals & Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has recieved any of the new steam engines? Model Power, Bachmann, Atlas and Model Die Cast all have seem to start to arrive at most of the on line hobby shops. I have all on order but none arrived so far. Hopefully someone will have some good news to report. Thanks, Ron :cry:

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Ron,

I just brought home a Spectrum 4-8-2 mountain and it is every bit as good, if not better, than the spectrum 2-8-0. The detail is exquisite, good power and slow speed control, pulls a lot, and very quiet. Gonna have to have another, I think!:thumb:

Dick

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
N Scale Steamers

Since Kato brought out its Mikado a few years ago (at that time, even brass couldn't beat this baby), all of the Bachmann, Model Power, etc were garbage. Some of the older Atlan/MDC/Rivarossi, etc. ran nicely.
Today, the new Bachmann, MDC, etc. are fantastic. Stay away from the Con-Cor stuff. Cheaply made and runs like it was made.
Of couse, all the Marklin stuff ran like a top.
marc

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
would it be possible to see some close up pictures of that mountain?. I have checked Bachmanns web page, but the picture they show is the HO model. I have seen the HO version and it's a beautiful, nicely detailed locomotive, so I was wondering if the N scale is as nice as the HO one.

Thanks
Jesper

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Dick,

I'm still waiting for my Model Power with the Vandy Tender
but this evening my Model Die cast 2-6-0 did arrive. I'm head=
ing out to my shop in a few minutes and will let you know
how well she runs. I'm also waiting for my Bachmann and
sure hope it runs as well as yours. Marc, I know all about
ConCor from experience and fully agree with you.

Ron
:thumb: :thumb:

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi all,

Last night I ran my new MDC 2-6-0 and it ran every bit as well as the 2-8-0. One thing I did'nt care for but getting used to was that big ugly coupler on the front. I wish they melt those all down and make plastic houses out of them. Ron :thumb: :thumb:

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
I have two of these mountains on their way to me. I must say they look fantastic. I can only hope that mine run as well as yours. From the net talk it appears as if they are not all created equal. However knowing that one runs well leads me to believe that they can all be made to run fine with some tinkering.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Dan

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Steam

Hi Folks,

I received a Model Power 4-6-2 with a "Vandy" tender. Runs very smooth and that tender is a piece of art! I'll post some pictures as soon as it arrives in El Paso, I decided to ship it to myself from Chicago (where we spent Christmas) rather than expose it to "Homeland Security" at O'hare Field. I ran it at Venture Hobbies up in Wheeling, Il. It's a beauty!

I also got one of those Kato Power Units. Runs like a top! It's only about 26 scale feet long......tiny. It will soon be a logging Climax. Also got an Atlas "Columbia Soup" reefer...cool!

marc gast

Nov 16, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
hometown.aol.com
Athearn Trains

Jack,

They are all long Fridays any more.

Check out my thread in the HO segment on the purchase of Athearn Trains by Horizon Hobby Distributors. :mad: :curse: :mad: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :mad:

Thanks,

Marc

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Model Power Pacific

Absnut and All,

Well - here are my opinions:

Great Looks

Tracks exceptionally well - even that 4 wheeled pilot truck

I haven't try to max it out but it has no problem pulling 5 coaches up a 4%

EXCELLENT SLOW SPEEDS - no stalling on switches (however I do use hot frogs) - runs at a very steady 25 or 35 scale mph.

Reacts nicely to momentum starts and stops

There is a "whirring" sound coming from the gear train and motor but at the speeds I run it's not objectional. At upper throttle settings it is a bit noisey.

Compared to past available N scale passenger engines it is a quantum leap! I LIKE IT!
:D
Here are some pictures.................

Attachments

• paclftsde.jpg
    paclftsde.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 102