Steam whistle sound when opening home page

Would you like to hear a steam whistle sound when opening the home page of this site?

• Yes, that would be neat.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, that would alert others in my household as to just how often I access this site!

• Not a steam whistle but another sound associated with trains.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ezdays

Out AZ way
Ralph said:
Where I come from NIMBY means "not in my back yard", a reference to people who protest things that might affect them but have little concern for how it affects others in the same situation. Not sure what you're getting at here Stan. Personally I don't use my computer speakers unless I'm working on sites with sounds I want to hear so the opening steam whistle would be lost on me. I am concerned, however, about the possibility it might effect the speed of the site as it loads up, especially for dial up users.
Ralph
Let's stretch a point and say that the Gauge is like home. Therefore, the NIMBY principal applies, or, "I don't care what railroad sites have sound, but not the Gauge." I hope I interpreted that right.:D

As for sound, I keep my speakers on low all the time. I do have a steam whistle that goes off when I have new email.announce1 That's by choice. And yes, I do get a bit aggravated when I go to a site and start hearing sounds that I didn't expect to get or want, or worse yet, a video, scrolling banners or dancing chickens.:curse: :curse: As many times as I come here every day, and as many times as I click on the link to take me back to the main page, it would drive me nuts in no time. Well, maybe drive me futher nuts is more accurate.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would think that someone could write a small script file that would play a .wav file before taking them to the Gauge link or set it up at another site so you go there first, play your sound while you link to here.:thumb:

spitfire

I loathe, abominate and detest websites that play music or sound effects, forcing me to scramble for the volume control to preserve my fragile sanity!! :rolleyes:

Val

doctorwayne

spitfire said:
I loathe, abominate and detest websites that play music or sound effects, forcing me to scramble for the volume control to preserve my fragile sanity!! :rolleyes:

Val

I'm with you, Val, and, it would seem, the majority. There's already too much noise around us. However, I must take issue with your statement about your fragile sanity: I was under the impression that "model railroader" and "sanity" were mutually exclusive terms. I know that my family certainly thinks that I'm nuts.

Wayne

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
doctorwayne said:
I'm with you, Val, and, it would seem, the majority. There's already too much noise around us. However, I must take issue with your statement about your fragile sanity: I was under the impression that "model railroader" and "sanity" were mutually exclusive terms. I know that my family certainly thinks that I'm nuts.

Wayne
I always thought that the "hobby" keeps us sane :D :D :D